Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chimenea Help

Options
Ed
Ed Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought a BGE chimenea, and need some help!
Do I build the fire directly on the bottom, or does it need a layer of sand?
Seems like I saw a reference to layering sand on the bottom to keep the dome from cracking.
Also a question on the round screen that came with it. Does this screen lay between the dome and the chimeney cone?
Chilly weather in Kansas City this weekend-could be a good time to practice!
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Ed,[p]We also have the BGE chinea. Build the fire on the bottom and no sand is needed.[p]The screen is for cooking something. You remove the stack and set the screen on the hole and cook. We havent used it.
  • Ed
    Options
    Boccie,
    Thanks for the help--might try to get out and fire it up tonight.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Ed,
    sand is needed for cheapo models but at the high heat these thing are produced I don't think wood can heat up that hot to bother the bottom. I use pinion wood in mine, smells really nice and chases mosquitoes.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Ed, fire it up & load it up - can't hurt anything except your skin. Don't get your leg next to it.

• Ed
    Options
    Boccie,
    Thanks;
    I'll fire it up in the morning.

• Unknown
    Options
    Hey Ed:[p]Ditto on the screen for cooking but don't even think about cooking ANYTHING except planked carp if your fire is made using pinion wood. It will be very, very nasty. It will impart the flavor of old cigar butts soaked in stale beer to your food. Don’t ask me how I know this (lol).[p]Adios – Daddo (Larry Marino)
    DaddoCFL@BellSouth.net

• Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    Options
    Ed,
    While I must agree wholeheartedly that the sand isn't NEEDED, I use it anyway but for a different reason......[p]What I have done is to fill the bottom portion with sand, and then stuck the grate directly in the sand. I then build the fire on top of the grate. My reasoning for this is to make it easier to get the ashes out (I do this often, not necessarily after every session). I just use the ash tool for the BGE, and scrape straight across the (now level) bottom into my bucket. The grate keeps me from pulling out all the sand. Plus, with as many fireballs as I have had in there, the sand is extremely hard at this point - makes a nice base.[p]I never planned to use the grate for cooking anyway, so it seems to work well for my scenario.[p]Cheers to you ![p]- Mike

• Ed
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Thanks for the help on the chimenea.
    Got it lit up tonight and burned a bunch of old branches.
    I did notice the chimenea got WAY hotter to the touch than either of my Eggs have ever gotten.
    Surprised me--I was looking for it to be warm to the touch--but that baby was HOT.
    Pretty nice chimenea--if it is anything like the egg should be the last I ever have to buy.

• I recently bought a chimanea, Below are ways to improve or help you with the BGE Chimanea.

1)The large BGE nest works great to make it mobile and raised it more at eye level. If you dont like the little metal stand.

2)Use sand on the bottom. I got tube sand from the local hardware store for a couple of dollars, you only need about a 1 gallon bucket full.

3)BGE ash tool works great to work the wood or fire

4)A Large or XL green egg grate for the bottom

5)4: 3 ¼ inch bolts, 8 washers, 4 nuts; apply these to the corner of the grate, it raises it to allow for airflow making it burn the wood easier and still provides perfect height for the fire to provide maximum ambiance.

6)Pinion wood lights fast, smells good, and keeps mosquitoes away, but oak burns hotter, purchase both and use a couple pieces of Pinion mixed in with more oak to provide a hotter fire.

7)Prime the BGE with 10 uses before getting a roaring fire.

I t took me some looking, researching, and experimenting on this but I feel these suggestions will provide perfect and optimal use of you BGE chiminea.