Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BAD Lump, Char Siu, and a Runaway Egg

Options
Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK...So it was one of 'those' nights! We decided to use up the leftover prepped food from Bibimbap the other night, and use some Char Siu chicken instead of beef....and I had NO intention of posting this evenings meal. However, the events of the evening changed my mind.

I got the egg fired up, and it needed some more lump. So, I broke into a new bag of Royal Oak, loaded the Egg, and got the temp stabilized at 500* or so. It was burning clean, so I put our stone bowls on to pre-heat. Gave them about 25 minutes, and opened the egg to start grilling off the chicken. When I put piece number two on....this started:

DSC02074.jpg

So I pulled the chicken off, and set it aside until the fireworks subsided. :blink:

DSC02075.jpg

And it got worse!! This is about 20 minutes in to the show!!

DSC02076.jpg
(notice the stone bowls.... :( )

Well, Bubba Tim to the rescue! I removed the bowls, they were good and HOT, trust me! He broke up the large lump pieces that were sparking the worst, stirred the lump, and a few minutes later, we were ready for chicken again. :) Great to have an Eggsperienced Master in the house!! B) He saved the meal for sure...or at least helped keep the meal at a reasonable hour! That lump looked like it would spark for hours! :S

So we put the bowls back on, grilled off the Char Siu Chicken, and we were set for another nice dinner....

DSC02077.jpg
Bowls are more than ready!! :evil:

DSC02079.jpg
Rice is in and sizzling away....

DSC02080.jpg
And dinner was great!

As for the runaway Egg....since we were afraid we were going to burn the house down with our fireworks show, we moved the Egg to the driveway. :huh: As we waited for the rice to crisp up really good, we were sitting on the porch and heard a "clink". There was our Egg....Rolling down the driveway and into the street! :S :pinch: The 'clink' was the third hand falling off the mate! The Egg was completely in the street, VERY hot, and we are VERY lucky there wasn't a car coming! :blink: (cuz Tim probably would have killed anyone that hit our Egg.... :laugh: ) It was a comical end to a rather bizarre Egging evening.

Thanks for looking! Happy Eggin!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    WOW.....what a story...and those sparks are amazing...glad everything came out great in the end.
    B) :P
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    NICE SAVE!!!On BOTH accounts! ;)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks Kim....Yeah, never seen lump spark THAT bad! The Egg in the street was the topper....we were in hysterics!! :woohoo:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    :laugh: It was NOT an uneventful night.... :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Michelle,

I've had some South American lump that did that. Had some RO that sparked but not like that. Nice meal anyway. If you happen to look back a couple of threads on my post to Beli, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Options
    Steve, I did see the post a while ago and started to look at the link, but all I saw was a bowl with legs and a bulls head?? Is that the bowl you are referring to? If no, could you please send me a link with a pic? Thanks!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Wow! I don't know if I would have made it to dinner. Finding my Egg in the street would have been enough for me to cash it in for the day! Dinner looks GREAT!!!!. I just thought it through, my Egg is at the top of my driveway....with all the ice and snow between there and the street, someone would have to come in with a forklift to get it there! :woohoo: Guess there's something to be said for winter!

Glad all turned out for the best.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I am sorry but I am laughing reading this and the mental picture of all this playing out. Not at all funny but funny. Forgive me.

What more could you ask for, fireworks, a fantastic looking meal and BubbaTim chasing after a runaway sparking egg blocking traffic.

Now that my dear needs a pin.

My best, sore sides and all. Kent
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    My guess is that RO is stamped Argentina on the side. I have been buying mine from restaurant depot until they started carrying the RO made in Argentina. I have found it to be almost unusable due to the sparks. It works OK low n slow but I ruined several pizzas with ash from the sparks settling on it. Avoid the RO from Argentina like the plague.

Chuck
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    dang that's a lot of excitement. I'm glad your egg didn't tip over and break.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Staci - Thanks! And believe it or not, I think I'll take an occaisional runaway egg over the ice and snow. :laugh: :pinch: Guess next time we'll put a brick under a wheel... :whistle: . Since it all happened without tragedy, we were laughing quite hysterically. :laugh:
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    I'm amazed it didn't flip over and bust. Wow.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Kent... :laugh: Laugh away my friend! :laugh: We weren't laughing while it was happening, but we sure did when it was over! :laugh: Thanks for posting. ;) It was an interesting night to say the least.... :blink:
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Chuck, We completely concur. We stopped buying the stuff at RD from Argentina, then they switched to Paraguy, and the lump was great. I think we purchased this out of reflex since we have had months of success. Didn't even look at the bag. And yes, it is Argentinian. But even still, we have NEVER had it as bad as tonight. My fault though, as I recall seeing some shiny lump (looked more like graphite than coal) when I loaded the egg, but was in a hurry and didn't pull it out. I am sure those were the culprits. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Jo Jo & Texas...FOrtunately it is a smooth transition from the driveway to the street! :whistle: I am more surprised we didn't have a car driving by. THAT would have been Ugly!! :S
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Glad you survived your dinner LC. It looks wonderful but maybe there are nights when ordering out isn't such a bad idea. :blink:

Gator

• Little Chef
    Options
    Gator - Survived.... :laugh: ...not a bad way to look at this at all! :) When they start making food as good as we get at home, I'll order out. :whistle: Until then, perhaps a brick under the nest wheel is in order... :laugh:
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    or maybe a table? my table doesen't roll anywhere. in fact it takes two strong men to move it, even with the wheels....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I imagine it wasn't fun at the time. You did paint a good picture of the events though.

"It was an interesting night to say the least...."

Looks like the post was deleted. I saw a few comments and wrote a post, took a second thought and decided not to submit. I went in the other room for a while and when I came back everything was gone. Probably just as well.

Hope you guys are warming up some over there. A little brisk out here, 18° without wind chill.

Kent
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Wow! It's like enjoying a great dinner, watching fireworks, and then a scary movie without leaving home. Great dinner LC.

Lesson Learned: Don't give your egg heartburn with Argentinian lump - it will run away.

BT - I would hide that bag, if your Egg even sees it, it may bolt
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    See, the eggs are more than just a cooking vessel, they are fine entertainment!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi Michelle,
    Damn you lead a scary but eggciting life. :laugh: So glad to hear the out come was not anywhere as bad a it could have been.

Looks like a fine meal at the end of the adventure but what a way to get there. :whistle: I'll be watching for the next chapter in your and Bubba Tim's life. :woohoo:

My Best,
    Bordello
  • skyhopsing
    Options
    were can I get some of those bowls?
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Eggsactly! Since it was a full moon, our egg was paying homage to the "Red Neck Fire God, Egga-Wana-Runa". :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    Options
    www.kowmart.com Get the wooden coaters that are made for them. It makes them easier to move when the bowls are 500 deg. :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • bubba tim
    Options
    Kent, During the runaway egg event, the pucker factor was 11+ but after I had rolled it back to level ground, I was LMAO. :woohoo: :P Stay warm my friend.
  • my South American RO did exactly that. ruined a pizza.

the South American RO is crizzap.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Thanks god that didn't turn out worse :ohmy:. Glad all is OK in your house. Oh yeah, and nice looking cook. :)

Doug
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    I think I'll get those bowls. How do you do the rice? Just put it in and it sizzles or do you put oil around edges?

Thanks in advance, and the Korean food looks delicious.
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    I found it!! Carefully add peanut oil.