Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick cooking question

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Making a stock from cooked chicken carcass. How long does it need to boil?

Thanks!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    It should not really boil..... a low simmer is closer to what you are after. I go several hours, uncovered, being careful to skim any white foam that rises to the surface during the first hour.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Oh well, Im trying for a quick version. Wont be the first thing I have messed up. TY
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Oh, in that case I would add some canned stock, soup base or bullion to the stockpot water to make up for any shortage in flavors.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    2 hrs

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/soups/chicken-broth/

This is for what they call chicken BROTH. If u search for chicken STOCK, it takes longer.

BHG hasn't failed me yet.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I am with thirdeye and slow cook for several hours, however when time is not on my side, bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for an hour and half or more depending on time available. Usually toss in some seasoning and boullion cubes. carrots onions and celery. Strain all out at end. let cool to room temp. Freeze what I don't use.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Doesn't help you much at the moment, but Americas Test Kitchen has a pretty good recipe for making a rich chicken stock in a short amount of time. They start with raw chicken products though.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Im workin on the fly here.

So, I boiled for 30 minutes(rolling boil covered), strained it, then into the pot to simmer with other ingredients of a white bean chicken chili. It seemed to have decent color. I should assume the broth/stock or whatever I ended up with will be lacking in flavor? The chicken itself was cooked on the Egg, and I included the skin and all in the boiling pot.
    :unsure:
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Emirils recipe for blond chicken stock is pretty good and it only simmers for an hour. The stock I'm making these days comes from Rouxbe.com and it is a dark one, involving roasting everything fairly dark before a 4 hour simmer. Works great weith the egg and pre roasted chicken bits though...

In any case what you ended up doing (the long boil) will still be lots better than water, likely cloudy though, which won't matter in a stew.

Doug
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Baccus, I simmer it for 4 hours. But I must tell you, it does me good to see an accomplished chef, and wine-meister such as you, not be afraid to ask questions in here, about cooking. This is truly a great forum! Thanks for your answers to all my questions in the past.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment greaseball. I've never been referred to as a chef, and I'm positive you are being too generous. I'm also positive that one can't learn effectively without experience AND input from those more knowledgable than themself.

Now if you nimrods would learn to spell my handle correctly I'd be happy. ;)

Thanks again buddy!

Ron
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    "chef" is relative. Thanks again.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

In my opinion you don't hurt a stock by going to long simmers, in fact they get more potent and reduce a bit. I go 10 hours or more. I genearally strain through a Chinois lined with moist cheesecloth and the clarity is fine.

STeve

Steve 

Caledon, ON