Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOKING

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to BGE. Have made several attempts at smoking (chicken,ribs)and don't quite seem to get the smoke flavor that I recall from traditional ceramic Japanese smoker. Directions say temp at 160 but produces very little smoke. I open vents temp rises, lots of smoke but meat cooks too quickly. Am I just too impatient and should just keep temp low and not be concerned about lack of smoke? Any suggestions for best smoke flavor and techniques would be appreciated. Thanks,Rick.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Rick Burnett,
    I don't know of many, if any, recipes that say to smoke chicken or ribs at 160 degrees. 250 for smoking ribs and chicken would be more like it. I cook chickens at 350-375 and they are plenty smokey. Tell us more about what you are doing.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Rick,[p]160° sounds like a "goal" temp for the finished product. As TNW, I'm more used to having the dome (cooker) temp at 230 to 250°. No problem with smokiness.[p]Ken