Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Replacement Seal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to replace the seal on my smoker, but I do not know where to get one or what type of glue/adhesive I should use to attach it to my smoker. Can anyone tell me where to find both of these? Any help will be very appreciative.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    UGAsmoker,
    you will get a number of opinions here, from bge standard replacement to rutland gaskets etc. . .but here is my personal response and experience:[p]i used the bge replacement kit, simply call and order direct from bge, it is pretty cheap, and i found it really easy to replace (i didn't even have to remove my dome),[p]simply scrape the old stuff off, wipe down well with alcohol or other cleaner (409 etc). . .then peel the backing of the gasket back as you run it around the egg rim. . .leave the dome closed so that the weight of the dome give you good adherence, and you are set to go. . .[p]other options may last longer, but i don't think there are any that are easier. .. .[p]just my 2 cents

• mad max beyond eggdome, I just did the exact same thing on my large and it was very easy and quick.

• Shoosh
    Shoosh Posts: 19
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I just fried my gasket this weekend trexing some steaks. I decided to burn off residue in the egg after the cook so I had the egg wide open top and bottom for an hour or so(not on purpose). I went out there and the temp was around 1000 or so and there was black adhesive oozing around the seal. I figured if I close the egg completely that the egg will seal shut since that happened to me the first time I used the egg. I propped the egg slightly open and let it cool down (that took about 6 hours) til I closed the lid. The next day I checked the egg and it wasn't stuck so I just ordered two seals in case I get a burnt gasket again.[p]Shoosh

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Shoosh,
    exact same thing happend to me one night. . had the plate setter in the egg, figured i'd let temps go up for about 15 minutes to clean the egg and the setter. . ..forgot about it for about 45 minutes, went outside and the egg had gone nuclear. .. . same black oozing gasket you described. .. i too was afraid to close the egg for fear of it cementing shut. . .so i opened the lid all the way, figured it couldn't get any hotter, and used the ash tool to scrape off as much of that oozing gasket as possible, then stuck the ash tool between the egg and dome so there was a small space to keep it from being stuck. .. next day, it was cooled down and there was almost nothing left of the gasket to scrape off. .. .made applying the new bge gasket real easy. .. i too bought too kits since they are so cheap and i have one in reserve for next time i'm that stupid again (which i promise, will happen). .. .

• bodean
    bodean Posts: 19
    Options
    Just replaced my gaskets yesterday (BGE Standard)..I done it in about 15 minutes.....Man was I proud of myself....Easy to to do......
    I prefer the BGE mainly because it is easier....Life is to short to be without smoke and beer.[p]Dean

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    Was that quick replacement done with or without the help of beer?