Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baby back advice needed...

Options
texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted this in my thread below but it may not be seen...

Ok gang I am about 3 hrs in on my baby backs using the platesetter and drip pan. What I need some input on is how I can know when to pull them.

The new Thermapen read 155 and I was surprised they were that warm after so short a period of time (and my dome temp was never higher than 250)... How much longer should I go, keeping in mind that I will not foil or 3-1-1 them or anything?

Should I shoot for a texture or a temp to pull?

Thanks for the help... this is my first go at these and what them to be good!

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    You have at least 1.5 more hours. IMHO.
    These are 3 hours in.

gdribs01.jpg
    They should bend in half when picking them up. Also, look for white bones.

Mike
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    I got a reply for the very man whose recipe I am using!

Thank you, Mike... I picked them up at 3 hrs and not much fold at all. They look almost exactly like yours---which is a little deceptive since they look ready to eat!

Thanks again.
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    You have to be careful when using a thermapen on baby backs. if you have the tip touching bone it will read hotter than the meat temp.
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    Well I took them off at 4.5 hrs. Dome temp never exceeded 250 and usually was in the 230ish range. Even so, they seemed overdone to me. I could pull them apart but it took effort and they didn't pull cleanly.

Oh well... First time is a learning experience. Maybe next time I will do a 3-1-1 with foil but man it is hard for me to imagine cooking a slab of baby backs that long after 4.5 hrs turned out for me the way they did. I was hoping for the "fall off the bone pretty easily" consistency... :(
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    I've come to understand that I am my own worst critic when it comes to what I cook. I'm sure it was great and you will get better with time, there's no doubt about that. It's the journey thats the fun part....and the eating
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I am trying to be helpful, OKAY? If they were tough to pull apart, they were undercooked. The fat hasn't been rendered out from the bone.
    A good rib should be a slight tug off the bone and a clean bite.
    My first ribs where never anywhere close to what I cook now. Keep up the work and you will be great.
    Mike
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    carwash mike wrote:
    I am trying to be helpful, OKAY? If they were tough to pull apart, they were undercooked. The fat hasn't been rendered out from the bone.
    A good rib should be a slight tug off the bone and a clean bite.
    My first ribs where never anywhere close to what I cook now. Keep up the work and you will be great.
    Mike

Oh, I will not take offense Mike... I have thick skin and welcome any and all input. I hope my post above didn't sound otherwise.

Being perfect the first time is unrealistic IMO. I just wanted to report above what happened and see what people said.

PS They weren't tough per se, but they were NOT fall off the bone and there was no clean bite (meat stuck to the bone). I am ITCHING to have a do over! ;)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    If you want fall off the bone, I promise you will have them next time. May take a phone call or two.

Mike
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    carwash mike wrote:
    If you want fall off the bone, I promise you will have them next time. May take a phone call or two.

Mike

I trust someone with your experience 100% and really appreciate you taking the time to advise me. This is what makes this forum so great.

I am kickin' myself though for not letting them go longer, but I suppose this is the way one learns. :ermm:

Ha, I may even talk myself into a redo tomorrow!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Tex,

Should take closer to 6 hours for Baby backs, using Mike's technique. Sounds like they were undercooked, like Mike said.

Next time, follow Mike's recipe to the tee, and as he offered, give him a call when you have a question during the cook. He can be very helpful.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Next time:

Get temp stable between 225 and 250.

Put ribs on.

DON'T peek or lift the lid for 4 hours.
    I said - Don't lift the lid.

If you are going to glaze them, do it at the 4 hour mark.

Take off after a total of 4 1/2 hours.

Don't worry about meat temps.

Spacey
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    I peeked once an hr to flip them and spritz...

Would it make sense for them to be underdone and a little dry at the same time?

I tell you this: come hell or high water, I will follow Mike's recipe above to the tee next time I don't care what happens. :lol:
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Do you make your own babybacks? These look to have the samll bones [loin end] attached.
    Emil
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I buy a 3 pack from Sams.

Mike
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    By the standards of many seasoned Barbecuer's, "fall off the bone" ribs are overdone.