Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat pork ribs

Options
cooksome
cooksome Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I cooked two slabs of ribs. I noticed they had a lot of fat and I removed all I could but they still came out sort of geasey tasting. I also noticed the post where a person boiled them to remove fat with out any good response from others. My grandmother boiled hers but I dont remember if it removed or reduced the fat.It seams the ribs I buy lately just have alot more fat, maybe it's the whole industry of mass production. Any help with getting rid of exscive fat or geasey taste> I use the 3.1.1 methed at 225
thanks for the input.

Comments

• texasAUtiger
    Options
    cooksome wrote:
    Yesterday I cooked two slabs of ribs. I noticed they had a lot of fat and I removed all I could but they still came out sort of geasey tasting. I also noticed the post where a person boiled them to remove fat with out any good response from others. My grandmother boiled hers but I dont remember if it removed or reduced the fat.It seams the ribs I buy lately just have alot more fat, maybe it's the whole industry of mass production. Any help with getting rid of exscive fat or geasey taste> I use the 3.1.1 methed at 225
    thanks for the input.

Prepare to be pummeled my friend. :woohoo:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    That was not enough time at that temp. Get your egg up to 250ish range when foiling. I like to finish at 275, you can see the fat renedering out.

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Are they spares or BB's? I have a slab of spares on now that started at 225 dome for 1 hour and are now at 250, will move to 275 for the last hour or so and am planning a 6-7 hour total cook with no foil.
  • cooksome
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I'll try to go a little hotter next time. And maybe not foil or foil a shorter time than 1 hour. I stayed at 225 the whole cook an usally I do go a little longer than the 3-1-1 maybe 4-1-1.5
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I'm just over the 6 hour mark now. Not much pullback but they pass the bend test so I'll be saucing in a bit.