Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon, Mushroom, Onion, Swiss Burgers

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I felt like burgers . . . Bacon, Mushroom, Onion, Swiss Burgers. LOL, these were sounding decadent before I ever got started on them. To appease my conscience I opted for lean ground turkey.

The recipe:

5# Ground Lean Turkey
3# Sweet Onions
3# Mushrooms
2# Swiss Cheese
1# Bacon
1T Thyme
2t Basil
2t Oregano
1T Sea Salt
2t Black Pepper
2T Gravy Master
2t Garlic Powder
2t Onion Powder
2t Minced Garlic
3t Minced Onion
Butter

I chopped the onions and caramelized them in a CI skillet on the egg with half a stick of butter and a pinch of sea salt. The mushrooms were huge so I cut them into 1/8's and they got the same treatment. The bacon I cut into 1/2" to 3/4" pieces and fried it on the egg until golden.
Once that was done (I did that much a day ahead) everything was mixed well in a large bowl.
Next I weighed the mix and shaped into patties, .66#'s each. I had enough cheese for 3 slices for each patty so I organized it and wrapped it in plastic film. I used the FoodSaver to put them up 2 to a package including cheese.

DSC_0027_640.jpg

The egg was set with raised grid, 400º. . .
DSC_0035_640.jpg

A little Swiss . . .
DSC_0038_640.jpg

Fini . . .
DSC_0041_640.jpg

No shortage of mushrooms . . . :cheer:
DSC_0049_640.jpg

The first side stuck to the grid, not sure why. Next time a little canola oil on the grid will help that. After that they were fine. I wasn't sure what temperature to cook them to so when they got to about 160º internal I added the cheese and gave them a few more to let it melt.
The burgers have great flavor but may be a little dry. They ripped when they stuck and I don't know if I lost juices then or if I over cooked them a little or what the story is.

Gator

Comments