Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Big pork loin...

Options
arizonawildcat
arizonawildcat Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife hit Costco the other day and asked if I wanted anything for the Large BGE. I told her let's try a pork loin. Came home with this monster. I've done pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches already...but how the heck do I cook this? Tried a quick search, but thought I'd also poll you all live for some help. I have some fairly standard spices and rubs available and just trying to cook something simple with the cut of meat. Thanks in advance!

- Do I need to cut it into smaller pieces?
- What's a relatively simple recipe?
- Still cook to 190 internal or so?
- 1.5-2 hours per pound on this guy also?

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

Comments

• Iowa State Egger
    Options
    AW

Keep in mind that pork loin is 100% different that pork shoulder (butt). Not nearly as fatty and cooks different. I usually cook mine indirect with heavy smoke at dome of 225 or 250. When the loin hits 125 or so (usually a couple of hours), I turn the egg to direct and crank up the dome to around 400 or so. I then cook rotating the loan to prevent burning until 145. This give you a nice moist smokey inside with a grilled char on the outside - good stuff!

Here is 40lbs on the XL I did last fall for a tailgate:

100_4213.jpg

By the way - go ahead and apply a lot of rub too!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Arizona,

First, forget the 190º, you might kill the poor thing. LC's recipe finish temp of 155º is much better. Personally I go to 150º.

For simple you can just rub with salt and pepper and grill it. Follow LC's grilling directions, she knows her stuff better then most around here. If you have a rub you like use it. You can sauce toward the end if that floats your boat.

Pork roast can be awesome! Incredibly moist and tender if not over cooked. I have found that pork and chicken soak up smoke better than beef so if you use smoke wood I would use a moderate amount at the most, something like maple or pecan maybe. Serve with some good apple sauce and your home free.

Good luck, post your results, we will be looking forward to seeing them. :cheer:

Gator

• arizonawildcat
    Options
    Thanks to the three of you so far. I'm obviously a new owner and just haven't got the hang of all these different cuts of meat and how to cook them. I'd like to try the LC recipe that Bobby posted first but don't think I will have time to run to the store to pick up spinach, sun dried tomatoes, etc. Think I will just go the simple rub on the outside with maybe a little apple wood smoke.

So, for this 6.5lb cut, about how long do you all think it would take to reach the needed 150 internal temp? Wondering when I should put it on today to try and time it out for a 6pm dinner (alloting for rest time, etc).

Another question...should I go ahead and season the meat with rub now and let it sit in the refrigerator this morning?

Thanks again everyone - this forum is great.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    AW

The rub is personal preference. I like to rub flavor so sometimes I will let the rub stay on there for 24 hours. I know others will rub right before they put it on. My vote - rub it up now.

The time depends on the dome temp. If you go with 250 dome (only because that is what I know) plan on two hours at least.

One thing I have learned in my cooks is that it is easier to keep the meat warm than it is to hurry the cook up. I have had many dinners that were planned for 7 start at 9. Start it early, if you hit your temp before dinner is ready, wrap it in heavy foil and it will be fine. If you miss the mark by a lot, wrap in foil, then in towels and through it into a cooler.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Well that's a great cut for roasting. I set up my egg indirect and roast 300-350° dome until internal hits 145°. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes then slice. Makes great sandwich meat down the road sliced thin.
    Tip; I like to trim off most of the fat on the outside so I get more flavor into the meat with rubs and smoke.
    Pecan, hickory, apple wood chips are all good for smoking the first 30 minutes of the cook.
    Have fun!
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I have gotten so used to cooking to an internal temperature and it has been a while since I have cooked pork roast I would only be able to guess at a time and would hate to be wrong. I could guess between 1 1/2 to 2 hours but I could be way off. I would rub closer to the cooking time. Rubs can be high in salt and/or sugar that can draw moisture from the roast before it gets to the grill. Better to leave the moisture where it is. If you have the time you could research a brine/marinade and brine/marinade till it gets closer to grilling time when you would dry it off and apply your rub. Just a thought.
    I was just looking at LC's recipe and her roast is smaller and has been butterflied and rolled, for a big chunk of pig like yours I would not worry if my grill temperature was closer to 350º and cooked a few minutes longer. It probably doesn't matter but is just a thought. After all we're only looking at 25º. Just a passing thought.

Good luck,

Gator

• arizonawildcat
    Options
    Thanks for the vote of confidence on what we purchased! I like the advice of cooking it at a little higher dome temp then just wrapping in foil if needed if it were to get done a little early. I have a remote internal meat probe so I can monitor to the 145 fairly easy.

I thought about trimming the fat off the top portion so will do that per your suggestion. Apple chunks work well instead of chips?
  • arizonawildcat
    Options
    Very helpful advice - thanks and I'll come back to post some pictures tonight (if I remember!)
  • arizonawildcat
    Options
    Appreciate the advice Gator. Will give it a shot around 350º indirect and plan on a little over 2 hours to be safe. Will look to pull from cooker at the 145-150 internal temp.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Sure, a few (two) chunks of apple on the fire 10 minutes before the roast goes in will work fine. I use apple often and with pork it's excellent.
    I season with a rub just before cooking. A little vege' oil rubbed on first then shake a rub and pat it in all around. I like Dizzy Pig 'Shaking the Tree' and 'Swamp Venom' rubs on loin roasts....everyone's got a preference so it's up to you. The most important thing is not to over cook this meat or it will tuffen up. Place the probe in the roast AFTER the first 30 minutes of cooking so the outside of the meat becomes sterilized and there is less chance of contamination when the probe get inserted. I like to play it safe.
    Good luck, have fun. I love pork loin roast with sweet/tart applesauce! Enjoy!
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I'd do a Triple Threat.
    DSCI0046-4.jpg
    DSCI0048-8.jpg
  • arizonawildcat
    Options
    Quick update - just took out of shrinkwrap to trim the top...and there are two cuts in there, not just one. Guess that's why it was tied up?

Will obviously cook much faster than I was originally anticipating.

I'm taking a few photos to post later tonight. Thanks again everyone.