Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flounder

Options
Brobear
Brobear Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I inadvertantly tried flounder again tonight on the egg. I had forgotten that it had been tried previously, and hated it. It may be that I just don't like the bitter taste of flounder, but what success have any of you had with preparing flounder on the egg. My wife reminded me that the first time we tried flounder, we threw it out. We assumed that it may have been freezer burned. The flounder tonight was straight from the market (of course, no telling how old it was). I hope the dog and cats are able to digest it tonight :).[p]In my opinion, there is nothing like hooved protein.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Brobear,
    I'll second the notion that there ain't nothin' like a nice juicy tender piece of beef. But I'll have to say I've never had a piece of flounder that I'd call bitter. How did you cook it (the time it was bitter)? Maybe you got too much smoke on it? Or the wrong kind of smoke?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I would have to second your opinion. Bitter? Flounder is one of my favorite fish to eat of course with my NC bias it is best fried.[p]For the EGG I have only done tuna and salmon.

• Brobear
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I may have cooked it too long. No smoke was added. Bitter may not have been the right word to use. I am a novice at cooking fish, and I assume different fish are cooked for different durations. How would you go about preparing flounder, or say, catfish filets? Would you cook fast, slow, etc...?

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    LinkPhoto?GUID=4e03456b-1663-442e-3181-1220121b6083&size=
    <p />Brobear,
    here is a pic of a 3 lb flounder stuffed with shrimp, crab, and mushrooms. Cooked at about 325° dome temp (indirect)for about 1 hour. No wood for smoke added.
    Also pictured is stuffed bell peppers using shrimp jambalaya.

• Brobear
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Thanks for the response. Looks good. I believe I must have overcooked the flounder both times. The first time was on direct heat, so I thought I would try indirect. Of course, if you cooked a stuffed flounder an hour at 325, I guess filets at 350 or so for an hour is too much :).