Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza dough

Options
sblackfl
sblackfl Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do you transfer dough to the egg without it becoming a mess. My pizzas fall apart when transferring it to the egg.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I don't have a peel so just use parchment paper to slide it on and off the pizza stone
  • sblackfl
    Options
    do you put the dough on the paper and carry to the egg. then pull it out and let it cook.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Did ya try searchin the forum first??
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I had same problem first time i made the dough from scratch. I bought a wooden pizza board for $10 at store. Works great.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • sblackfl
    Options
    i have done that but dough w ingredients will not slide off. How do you get it to slide off
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Put cornmeal on board before the dough. It will slide very easily. I also put cornmeal on pizza stone.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • WessB
    Options
    You'll soon learn that you dont need to do that..
  • sblackfl
    Options
    Wess: what is the secret? I have no clue. If not corn meal or parchment paper, then what?
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Two ways:

1) Parchment paper. Let the pizza cook with the parchment paper under the pizza. If you don't have a peel, use the back of a cookie sheet to carry it back and forth.

2) Super Peel. Go to the website and look at the video.
    http://www.superpeel.com/

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• WessB
    Options
    Pizza screens or there is also the superpeel http://www.superpeel.com/ Don't get wrong..my early attempts at pizza on the egg I would use corn meal on the peel..people would say it's like little ball bearings..you don't need corn meal on your pizza stone as the dough cant stick to it anyway. With a screen you just form and build the pie on the screen and place it all on the pizza stone you can take it off the screen after it firms up but I rarely do that...
  • smalljaws
    Options
    What WessB said. You can get the screens for a buck or two at a restaurant supply store. Buy several and you can have several pies ready to go, no worries with them sitting around and sticking to a peel. Parchment works well too, just build the pie on top of a circle of parchment then slide parchment and pie onto the stone.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I do use the super peel now that I have it, but before I just used parchment and removed it after the first minute or two on thin crusts. I also use cornmeal. I've always used coarsely ground cornmeal even when I cooked pizzas in a pan in the oven, because I like the additional crunch it gives the crust. I have pizza screens but for me it defeats the purpose of using a stone, I want the crust touching the stone to get the texture that provides. We only use them for reheating in the oven. Screens are what Dominoes and Pizza Hut use. eh.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You can just use a plain ole Pizza Pan. Put the pan on the stone. After just a couple of minutes at 500deg with the crust starting to harden, you can lift the edge of the pie with a spatula and slide the pan out fromunda. :)
    Then you have a cool pan to carry pie back inside without potholder.
  • smalljaws
    Options
    Screens are what Dominoes and Pizza Hut use. eh.

Interesting, I don’t have a problem with the screens they are well perforated and allow moisture to be wicked from the pie to the stone. I would think that parchment would inhibit that wicking quality. You can always remove the screen once the dough has skinned.