Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE small hinge/thanks

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My thanks to Jim Nufer for his prompt and fast shipment of a new spring hinge for my small BGE. Its classy. Its a quality nice hinge an it will make my small BGE quite happy.
While changing out the bands, I also changed the Rutland GraphoGlas seals to a white fiberglas seal produced by another company. I also used a different high temperature 1380ºF latex caulk called FLAMEBUSTER, and its quite reasonable at around 4 dollars a large caulking gun tube at most home improvement centers. The cotronics caulk I mentioned some time ago was a flop..It too became a chalky residule and the seals came back off. My apology to anyone who also had a failure with it.
How this new Flamebuster will work, I have no idea yet. But it did go on well, and it oozed into the seals nicely. Its ingredients are also many of the same ingredients found in ceramics. So I have to wonder how it will perform. No way to find out but to use it.
So I am.
I have photos and can send them e.mail to anyone who is interested in the steps and installation.
Happy Q, and thanks again Jim N and BGE for the excellent service.
C~W

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Char-Woody,hey guy, you are going to love the new hinge on the small.... Gets the DEEP snow off when you flip it open...He HE He... Time to think about moving SOUTH... ah someday...

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Glad to see you come out of the "closet" old friend. You will enjoy the new hinge. Picked mine up for my small several months ago and could not be happier.[p]Stick around how 'bout it?
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Bob, Nice to see a welcome mat out and thanks, but you guys are having too much fun. Most of the advice here is good to great and no real fills needed from old C~W.
    There are several excellent reference webpages available such as TNW's and where did GFW go? He was a excellent leader in personal cook webpages.
    Thanks also to tn slagamater..
    Heading for the shower. Been beating up on all the neighbors leaves in my yard today.. Chow..
    C~W[p]

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    tn slagamater,[p] Your right about the new hinges! It's a joy just opening and closing my egg and with two snow storms the first week of april it's nice to flip the snow away