Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing Whole Pork Butts

Options
field hand
field hand Posts: 420
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We will be smoking two butts in a couple days and plan to freeze one whole, without pulling it. We haven't frozen a whole butt before. Any problems with doing this? Any preparation hints after thawing? Thanks in advance for replys.

Barry
Marthasville, MO

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Freezing it after you cook it? I would pull it first then freeze the pulled pork.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    field hand

I agree with Fidel. If you have a vacuum sealer you can do packages the size you use and reheat in simmerring water.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I too am with Fidel.

Either boil the bags or fridge thaw.

GG
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    Pull before freezing. They pull a lot better warm. I use a vac. sealer to store pulled pork in meal size portions.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I don't recommend freezing them whole. If you don't have time to pull it or have a vacuum sealer I would at least pull the different muscles apart at the fat lines. You can then wrap pieces individually. Some people think that is the way to keep the meat moist but if you try to heat an entire one it takes quite a while and you'll start to dry it out. As stated before pulling it cold is a chore.
  • field hand
    Options
    Sounds like everyone agress, pull before freezing. Thanks.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    There is a reason it is hard to keep moist when reheating. The gelatin formed during the initial cook (which is what gives pulled pork its moisture, consistency, and overall deliciousness) once cooled takes much more heat and energy to get back to the same state.

So once you cook it, then cool it, to reheat it to get the gelatin all squishy and yummy takes so much energy that the meat is adversely effected.

Or something like this. I should have paid closer attention when Alton explained it to me.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I do it ALL the time.Let it cool to the point you can handle it without burning yourself.FIRST wrap really good in plastic cling wrap then double wrap in HDAF,put it in the freezer and that's it.When you are ready to reheat,place in fridge or cooler with a little ice til thawed.Place in oven (still wrapped in the foil and plastic wrap) at 170- 200 for a few hours,pull,enjoy.I have done it DOZENS of times.Works like a charm.Keep in mind that it will NEVER be as good as it is when it originally comes off the cooker,but reheating whole butts yields much better meat tan reheated pulled meat.HIH! ;)
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I knew I heard all that stuff somewhere. LOL.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I'm with Hoss on this one and have done it many times. In fact did about 50 large (8-9lb) boston butts just in the last three months of 2009.

Wrap tightly with clear wrap and then heavy duty foil before freezing. Just allow them to defrost slowly in the fridge for two or three days before heating them.

They stay very moist that way and pull easily after warming them in a 200 degree egg (or oven) for a couple hours.

Just be sure to use a drip pan underneath if you reheat in the oven :whistle:
  • field hand
    Options
    Thanks again for the information and different methods. Will be trying the "Hoss" way.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    You know I think this is a good application for a vacuum device aka Food Saver
    I have cooked and then bagged meat and used it 30 days later with no problem without freezing.
    I am using bnls. pork chops that have been in the food saver bag and not frozen from thanksgiving but that is me. I open the bag and if it does not smell or stick to my hand cook it.
    Emil