Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig or Byron's?

Eggspert
Eggspert Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used DP rubs for as long as I can remember (two days), so I trying to get an opinion of someone who has used both. I realize it depends on what meat you are using them on, so I guess I need to know what am I missing out on, since I don't have any BBR. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Bobby Petrino, Jr. has left Univ. of Tenn. thanks USC probation awaits u.

Go Dawgs!!!!!

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Byron's is fine but if you're using Dizzy Pig, you haven't missed much. You should be able to pick some up at most BBQ stores but if you're worried about rubs you haven't tried, there are thousands of them out there. You can literally spend every dime you have on small bottles of rub.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    At least Kiffin waited till the season was over to bail. :side:
    Petrino is a wormie, pitiful excuse of a coach and man....IMHO of course. ;)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Give Butt Rubb a try. I love it and will most likely have both the collection of DP's and the big bottle of Butt Rub as long as I'm eggin....Till I die. ;)
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    I agree with the waiting part but, if Kiffin would of had a spot mid-season, he would have packed it up and jumped ship no matter what time of the year it was. IMHO.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Yeah you are probably right.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Just here to echo what Adam said. Before I got the egg I had a steak with Butt Rub...searched high and low to find that stuff, and really really like it. My family thinks its a little on the spicy side. I love it!

Then along came the egg and with it this wonderful community and an introduction to Dizzy Pig. Love 'em both.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If you have the $, and place to store them, get both. I have most of the DP just now, and stuff from at least 4 other vendors. The DP's are my favorites on the whole, but there are a few from others that I really like, and am glad to have. Like some Jamaican jerk from Jamaica, and some Vindaloo from India. The down side if that I have accumulated enough that much will be stale long before I get to it. At this point, when I open the spice cabinet, things are likely to fall out. :lol:
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    They're both very good although I find Byron's to be a little salty for my taste. But a lot of people like that.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Eggspert,

I like BBR on ribs and butts. It has a nice heat level. DP rubs are great too but they tend to have a lot more flavour.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I like them all but I make my own (from a book of course) as well. ;) Tim
  • Ripnem
    Staci,

Steak? :huh: Haven't done dat. Try it on popcorn. :)

You clear for a phone call?
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    That's how I was introduced. I've developed my own rub for steak that I like well enough to never leave.

I'll send you the number in an email.
  • As much as I like all the DP rubs (i think we use Tsunami spin by the barrel)I really like BBBR on pulled pork. The black pepper gives a nice bite, with not to much salt.
  • Ripnem
    The chipotle powder (smoked jalapenos) is most likely the bite you speak of. Although it's second ingredient is black pepper....so i may be wrong, in your case.
  • I prefer DP DD on wibs and like M&M, I like BBBR on Butts. I would through a third rub into the mix for pork - John Henry's Pecan and a fourth for Chicken - Sucklebusters Hoochie Mama. Buying rubs - I let my fingers do the walking keep a pretty good stock available, and reorder before I run out. B)
  • I found BBR to be much too salty and no one in my family liked it on the ribs because of the salt. Comparing different rubs I have found I that my salt limit is about 12% salt by weight and prefer as little salt as possible. If it doesn't have enough salt I can add it but I can't take out what is already in there. Most of the Dizzy Pig rubs are around 10% salt and they have two salt-free rubs.

However I am clearly in the minority when it comes to how much salt I can tolerate on a piece of meat so YMMV.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I received BBBR for Christmas and tried it on some pork shoulder steaks. I must admit I applied a lot of rub so, maybe I should use it sparingly next time. To tell the truth I don't like that much pepper. On the other hand I have heard others say it was to salty but, I did not get that impression. Forgive me but I like a sweeter with heat rather than a pepper with heat. Least wise for chicken and pork. Tim
  • Technically, they waited about the same number of games !
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    I greatly prefer Dizzy Pig. Bad Byron's does not have as much favor, just salty. Just remember that all of the DP rubs are different. For ribs and butt, I like Red Eye Express the best, though I seem to be in the minority. It has a unique flavor unlike any other that I have tried. My wife likes the Swamp Venom the best it is quite good, with some heat, but not as memorable to me.