Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken calzone ideas please

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have this idea in my mind, but I don't know exactly how to pull it off. Any suggestions are appreciated.[p]I have a bunch of chicken left over from an 8.5 pounder i cooked up yesterday. It is all cut up and I have both white and dark meat. So I was thinking of making some calzones.....not necessarily italian filling, but I was thinking more of a white kinda sauce, with chicken, garlic, broccoli, shrooms and cheese. Don't want a super creamy sauce.[p]I already know I am using Mr. Hyde's pizza dough, as it is the best I have had....but not sure where to go with the chicken filling. Guessing maybe sautee the onion/garlic, then make a rous, then add chicken broth and some milk and reduce that down, mix in chicken and other stuff, season, then stuff the calzones. [p]Not sure though....anybody else done anything like this? Not sure how wet to make the mix, and I'm open to all suggestions on ingredients ad prep. Any sauce suggestions too![p]Thanks in advance.
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    just think'n........make white roux, add heavy whipping cream, add chicken base or chicken bouillion cubes,Jamaican firewalk, make sauce a little thick. Add raw veggies in sauce and turn off your heat, stir well and make calzone. As it cooks you will get added moisture from raw veggies, if you pre-cook veggies they will turn to mush, especially brocolli.

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I have a few calzone recipes, but this is the only one that is none italian style. It might give you a place to start.[p]Enjoy,
    RayS[p]THAI CHICKEN AND ZUCCHINI CALZONE[p]1 pound dark chicken meat, sliced into strips
    2 red onions, sliced and caramelized
    1 tablespoon minced ginger
    4 minced Thai bird chiles
    1 large zucchini, small dice
    4 Roma tomatoes, diced (may be canned)
    2 limes
    1/4 cup fish sauce
    1/2 cup Thai basil, chiffonade
    2 cups mozzarella cheese
    Canola oil, to cook
    Salt and pepper, to taste [p]Preheat oven to 375 to 400 degrees. Use a pizza stone if available. In a hot skillet or wok, coat with oil and brown seasoned
    chicken meat on all sides, about 3 minutes. Set aside. In the same skillet, brown onions, ginger chiles and season. Add zucchini,
    tomatoes, juice, fish sauce and season. Cook until zucchini is tender firm. Drain the mixture then toss with basil and cheese.
    Check for seasoning. Let mixture cool then stuff calzones. Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.[p][p]Yield: 4 small calzones

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    For my 'white' pizza's I use Cream of Mushroom Soup right from the can as my base. Sometimes I add a touch of Ranch Dressing over the soup. I could see your ingredients mixing well with the soup and ranch dressing. Both are nice and thick, so don't think you'll end up with too running of a filling....depending on the amount/kind of cheese you are using.

• Smokey Bob
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Chris if you have some of Ken Stones Cross Roads sauce, it would make a great base. Add enough to moisten all of the ingredients, some Jack or similiar cheese with body and cook until browned.[p]SB

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Maybe some julienne carrots, cauliflower and some green peas...kind-of like a pot-pie filling.[p]Also, maybe a little white wine in that sauce. Maybe some white pepper and a little dry mustard, too. And, I'd add a spash of tabasco...I think it goes well in most sauces, red or white.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Tabasco, QBabe? Heavens!

• QBabe
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]It's a pretty mild hot sauce as these things go...and adds a lot of really good flavor. I'm not suggesting much, just a squirt or so...[p]It's not like I suggested Dave's Insanity Sauce, LOL![p]Tonia

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wow...thanks everyone. I got me some real good ideas now. The Thai sounds real interesting and I'd like to try that sometime soon....but I am goin' more the gooey white chicken comfort food route. Tonia the pot pie thing is sorta like what I am looking for....just no peas in this house! Nobody likes them. The juilenned carrots sound perfect with the broccolli and shrooms.[p]Will try and post what I end up doing. Think I am gonna take idears from several much appreciated posts.[p]Great sunday to yall!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J Appledog
    Options
    QBabe, I hear there are some pretty good sauces being made in Florida these days....

• QBabe
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Duh! Just hit me over the head![p]Mrs. Dogs Dangerously Hot Pepper sauce has WAY more flavor than the typical Tabasco-types and would be an excellent addition...now, how can I get the Sam's sized one??[p]Tonia
    [ul][li]Mrs. Dogs - Unleash the Flavor![/ul]
  • J Appledog
    Options
    We sell gallons, QBabe!
    800.2MrsDog
    Julie