Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket replacement

Options
eggheadpaul
eggheadpaul Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
started my cook last night lid wouldn't open i had to use pry bar to get it open

IMG_2194.jpg

need links to buy replacement part
thanks Paul :sick:

Comments

• Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I fried my gasket last night and a poster volunteered to use a butter knife and get it opened, it did. My gasket is completely burned up and I am on my way to the Ace Hardware we bought it at to get another one. Does your dealer sell them? I also sent another poster an email asking him where he bought his Rutland gasket from since they come highly recommended. I am sure I will burn up another felt one and will replace it with the Rutland.
  • eggheadpaul
    Options
    I've seen some links on here before but I don't remember the sites.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    That looks just like mine - I've been cooking on it that way for years. Don't bother replacing it unless you actually need to (e.g. obvious air leaks).

-John
  • eggheadpaul
    Options
    Sounds great i will keep cooking until flames are coming out the sides love my bge :)
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    If you start to see smoke coming out between the base and lid, it may be time to replace the gasket, as having air leak in there could impact your ability to hold low temps. Just having it charred doesn't make any difference.

There are folks here who have just not bothered to replace at all, and run without a gasket. If your base and lid fit tightly together, that should work fine too.

-John
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I am like the guy in the Lil Abner cartoon with a dark cloud over his head, if it can go wrong, it will. Plus my wife thinks I should replace it because (the factory would not have put one on it if it isn't was suppose to have one!). After 32 years of marriage and understanding the cost of arguing with her (just how many darn pairs of shoes can one woman buy anyway? :woohoo: ) I will put a gasket on it. I went to Hills Ace Hardware in Loganville and guess what, BGE now has a high temp gasket that it sells as well as the old felt one. I am going to assume it is nomex since it is white and the serial number starts with NX. Looks like the same stuff my son's car racing suits and liners looked like. The only diffference is you have to use 3M 77 adhesive on it, it is not backed. Now I have scraped many a head gasket on engines with my son as we rebuilt race cars but I think a stiff putty knife is going to do the trick. Going out side right now to get started. Hopefully it will turn out okay. :cheer:
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Hungry in Lilburn,

Just wondering if you are going to install gasket with the cold temperatures these days?

I need to replace mine as well but was waiting till 60s before installing.

Thanks!

Jim
    Snellville, GA