Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread Practice

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well i have been on a bread making mission. i got the book "The bread bakers apprentice" by peter reinhart for my birthday last month. i was a little busy at christmas time and did not bake any bread. well last week i decided to make Homemade English Muffins . since then i have tried to make more bread. i am getting better at it but not quite to the level some of you are. but i am working on it..

first made some chibata bread

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

the inside turned out to look really good

DSC_0012.jpg

i decided to steal 12 steps idea that he made at the eggtoberfest after party. and make grilled cheese

DSC_0013.jpg
but i used smoked swiss cheese. it was really good we made potato soup to go with it since it has been so damn cold :angry:

when i got home from charleston on friday i decided to start practicing for the super bowl. and since i had no idea what i wanted to have for the super bowl i had to come up with a idea pretty soon. so since i like sandwitches i figured i would make pepper beef or meatball sandwitches. so i had to work on my hoagie making skills. so since most of the bread in that book takes two days i started on the hoagie roll recepie friday night. woke up saturday and it is time to go to work on the hoagies

DSC_0014.jpg

after the rise. since there would be too much work to do them all on the egg i did them in the oven. and they turned out very well if i do say so myself.

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

and they made one helluva meatball sub

DSC_0023.jpg

and yes i cheated on the meatballs and sauce they were frozen meatballs (i will proabably make my own on the egg for the super bowl, but like i said this was PRACTICE)and the sauce was from a jar but i did carmelize some onions kinda like what i do on a weeknight for spaghetti. yes i am lazy but my family likes my cooking so if you don't like it you know what to kiss :kiss:

have a great sunday watching football i have no idea what to cook for today :pinch:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    wow .. and that is practice??? the hogie rolls look perfect... i got to get that book make those rolls and make cheese steaks .. just beautiful
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    Great job! I wanted to jump through the screen and grab one of those hoagie rolls while they were nice and warm!! mmmm...mmmm :woohoo: :silly: :blush: Looks delicious!
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    Dang TB those look great. I ain't kissing nothing since i'm afraid it might stick. :laugh: When will it ever warm up round these parts. Screw the cold and stand by the oven. Again those look great!
    J
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Hey Bente--GIMME THAT BREAD!!! Wow, it all looks so good!

Tractor
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Great lookin' bread. Reinhart/BBA will never steer you wrong. That ciabatta recipe makes nice rolls, too; just use a light touch when dividing the dough into smaller pieces. I'm a fan of the white-bread-variation #2 recipe; it makes excellent soft burger or hot dog rolls.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Looks damn good to me

Ross
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Hey Bente, you look like a pro to me. I think I need to get that book. Nice!
  • BENTE
    Options
    thanks i did not think of cheese steaks. man this super bowl might just be the best yet :) if only the steelers were going to be in it

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    they were i was able to hold off on eating them warm. but it was difficult

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks jason!

yea i hope it warms up soon we have not been camping since thanksgiving and that sucks bad :angry:
    tell angie hello

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks it was alot of fun

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks for the heads up on the hamburger rolls i was planning on making some to go with some pulled pork in the freezer. and was wondering wich one to use...thanks ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    thanks ross!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i am far from a pro. i am working so that one of these days egret will not make fun of me :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    You are absolutely nailing the bread! And those English muffins from the other week were inspirational. Did you use the polish or the biga version for the Ciabatta? What dough recipe did you use for the pistolet?
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    You've inspired me, so may have to buy the book now. I could taste that meatball sub.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great looking Bread! Dayum, Terry, you are becoming the bread guru! Did someone say "Meatball Sub"?
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Your "prototypes" look great! Really thinking of taking one of his classes. I've got a batch of his biscuits making right now-but not on the egg!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Your bread looks fantastic! :cheer:
    Yeah, Peter's book has helped me a lot also. No bread for today but I'll be cookin up game hens and a western rib roast. Maybe bread tomorrow???.... ;)
    Have fun and good luck today with the game!
  • BENTE
    Options
    i used the poolish on the chibatta.

and i used the itialian bread with the biga on page 172

i have really enjoyed the book so far and the wife really likes me having it B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    if i took one of his classes it would proabably help but the book was far less expensive plus i get to eat the mistakes :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    i can't wait till i make my own meatballs i have made them on the egg before and learned a valuable lesson DON'T USE SMOKE!! :lol:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    you should have been here Pal!!

tell the kids and that beautiful wife of youre hello ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    yea if i am making bread today it has to be the ssn686's chocolate nut dream roll!! cause most of the breads in that book takes two days :pinch:

how is a western rib roast diffrent from a eastern one? :blink: :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Bravo! I've been wanting to start baking bread also. Today I found a couple of German bread recipes from my days in Germany I want to make. You're efforts are inspiring and Ross's great DO breads!

Can you impage, great pork and bread from the egg, OMG.
  • BENTE
    Options
    i can imagin it i will make it a reality this week. i have some pulled pork in the freezer (in foodsaver bags)wating till later this week. when i make some buns. i also have some cole slaw in the fridge waiting on those buns to get baked!! :laugh:

have not made any german bread i am eyeing a portuguese sweet bread for today but still in the planning stage now :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Terry those are not the results of an apprentice... :P ...but rather a consumated baker...next time we meet I'll have to try one of those....or several......
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Western cut....I dont know why? :blink: Because it's cut when the butcher faces West...???
  • BENTE
    Options
    well wich way is the cow facing :silly: :laugh:

have a good day

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    garacias mi amigo!!

next time we meet up i will bring you one ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb