Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low and slow preferred for everything???

Options
MerlinEgger
MerlinEgger Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm an ol' eastern NC boy and cut my teeth on good que at Wilber's and Scotts. I did my first pork butt low and slow using my new Guru and I swear it was as good or better than anything I ate growing up. My question is, I usually see folks on this forum talking about low and slow on butts and briskets, but assuming that you have time, is it always better to cook at low temp until done(ex. on a tenderloin)? or is it dependent on the makeup of the meat e.g. muscle type etc. Just wondering how folks decide. Thanks for the info.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Low and slow does not work well on lean cuts of meat because they dry out. On fattier cuts, such as brisket and shoulders, the rendering fat moistens the meat as the heat breaks down the collagen. That's the short version. I'm sure more info will be forthcoming![p]Jim
  • MerlinEgger,
    Don't know if this exactly fits in here , but it does touch on the subject some at least. I wanted fajitas , and bought 2 packs of top round, thin cut 1/2in, cut that into strips just wide enough to skewer and put the rub on and along with my veggies put in the egg once it reached about 350 which I thought cooking in that range for the thin pieces of meat would be about right....wrong...wrong...tuufff...tuufff...Next day I tried the other pack, same everthing except I put em in when the egg was 550...and presto...just like majic I converted the same dish from one with meat not fit for a dog (I'm very particular) to one that will stick into my memory banks again for ever how long it takes to fix it again...I mean those onions, grape tomatoes, zuchinni??spell ck, bell peppers and corn on cobb, all slathered with garlic paste was very tasty. Cooked on small so waited till meat was done and resting covered with tin foil before putting on the veggies, which I wrapped in foil a little at end after they had developed a little of that bge grilled look and flavor.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    That's the beauty of the egg. You can do a low and slow brisket or shoulder for pulled pork just as easy as you can a nice searing 750* steak cook and anything in between.[p]For leaner pieces like a pork tenderloin, I go direct at about 350*. Only takes about 30 mins for that and one of the best meals in such a short time.

• Buck Shot
    Buck Shot Posts: 34
    Options
    MerlinEgger,[p]I do like to do more low and slow stuff on the egg. There are times that need heat. However, I do see some folks around here that like to do grilled fish and I disagree. Slow smoked salmon or Red Fish like I had last night is phenominal. Use some alder chips and WOW![p]Best of smokin to ya![p]Chris