Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I did a couple of pizza's on my large bge with mixed results
fired everything up stabalized at 500 with an inverted plate setter and a pizza stone temp was level for about 30 min.
On the first one I used store bought crust dejorno I think and dressed it up with mater sauce, cheese and assorted other toppings
the crust burnt and the top was barely warm.
Tried the second one after choking the temp down to 450
better results but the crust still cooked faster than the top : the cheese didnot brown
third try temp at 400 even. This time I used a store bought frozen pizza (thawed)
turned out about right as far as how it cooked; But at best frozen pizza sucks
So any pizza pointers would be greatly appreciated.
thank you ever so much
Glenn

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Glenn,
    Here's a pointer to my pizza hints and tips page:
    TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • newsense
    newsense Posts: 32
    Options
    I use a pizza stone on top of my plate setter, making for a double thickness of stone. I heat the egg to at least 500, and let it stabilize for at least a half hour.[p]When you put the pizza on the stone to cook, close the top -- but make sure the cap is off so the chimney allows the heat to vent out the top. It takes about 8 to 10 minutes to cook the pizza, depending on how thick your crust is.[p]I've never had a burned crust this way, but once during a pizza party the heat of the egg caught my homemade table on fire. It was quite a scene, and I wish I had pictures. My neighbor and I lifted the table off the deck and into the middle of the back yard where we then used a garden hose to keep the table from burning.[p]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Glenn,
    One of the advantages of the plate setter in making pizza is to rest it on top of the grill, feet down and a pizza stone on top. This give you a good ceramic cooking mass and it brings the cooking level up, making it easier to slide the pizza on and off easier. A side benefit of this is the heat helps clean the grill.
    Now, you have to cook again to get the technique down.