Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off topic: BBQ flippers

Options
ranchonodinero
ranchonodinero Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the kids has a school auction-I also needed a longer reach flipper since my other one for the propane grill are too short, so I thought I could whip up a batch of them. These are more robust and feature a longer reach.
756842601_54bAQ-M.jpg
The "business" end and raw materials.
756840345_yWahM-M.jpg
Close up of handle material.
756841492_92rcZ-M.jpg

Comments

• Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    Beautiful work! :):):) Are you taking orders? (hint,hint)
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    They look very nice..but I would never poke a hole that big in a piece of meat I was cooking..
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Rancho,

I would LOVE to get one from you, dont need the fancier handle, but I DO NEED a left hand flip!

Let me know if you can make one for me - almost impossible to find. Lets work something out.

Dave in Keller, TX

lfgenergy@verizon.net
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    do you have one in a nice shade of Crimson and Cream
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    LFGEnergy wrote:
    Rancho,

I would LOVE to get one from you, dont need the fancier handle, but I DO NEED a left hand flip!

Let me know if you can make one for me - almost impossible to find. Lets work something out.

Dave in Keller, TX

lfgenergy@verizon.net

Lawn Ranger made one for me with a left handed flip.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Those look great!

Hope you don't get chased outa Dodge. :pinch:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice workmanship. Maybe too nice to use. A friend gave me his lathe but I haven't tried to do any turning yet.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Thanks for the comments-I made a shaving set out of the material and it holds up well to moisture. I made a prototype but then buggered it up when I tried to drill it-came out off centered so I'll be using that one myself. 1/4 inch stainless seems like overkill, but I wanted something that would allow for a longer reach-I suspect it could be used as a "wiggle rod" too. Getting the stainless hot enough to bend with mapp gas is a bear!
  • FuzzMan
    Options
    Very nice ... you've got me thinking that I might need to try making one for myself. How to you hold the steel part in the handle?
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    I use stainless rod that is sharpened, then bent into shape. I sand the handle end of the rod then use flexible CA to hold it in. I do my drilling on the lathe and it is drilled before final shape.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    They look great but I would be hesitant in jabbing holes in food. I use tongs for almost everything.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Me too. I had never seen, or even heard of, a tool like this until I saw this post. They do look cool though!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut