Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg question

Options
fishnrust
fishnrust Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an opportunity to add a small to my large. It is used and has a scissor hinge. Must be an older model, did not know they were made w/that style hinge. Anyone have experience with one of these? Pro's & Con's? Does it make a difference? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    all BGE's used to have that style hinge and even the minis still do. My small had one when I bought it new about 8 years ago so it isn't an antique! I upgraded to a spring hinge for about $50 after the hinge rivets broke twice. Go for it - you won't regret it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have a large with scissor hinge and have no problems about 10 years old. my small a 3 years old has the new spring and would think the scissor for the small would be fine.
  • B & C
    B & C Posts: 217
    Options
    Depends on how much the small is going to cost you. The scissors hinge on the small gives an opening of about 11 inches from base to dome in the front at it's highest point. The spring hinge gives an opening of about 16 inches from base to dome in the front at it's highest point. I would like to have the spring hinge.

Does the small need anything else? Ceramic cap, daisy wheel, new lower damper, fire box, fire ring, fire grate, cooking grate, thermometer, gasket, or nest? If you could pick it up for around $100 or less then it would probably be worth putting a new hinge on. A new hinge is around $86.00 list price.

HTH
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    My small came with the scissor hinge and I up-graded. The spring hinge gives you more access to the grid, it moves the lid up and back, plus you don't have to worry about the scissor binding. The spring hinge allows one hand operation to open and close the Egg.
    HTH :cheer:
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    I bought an old sbge for $150 on craiglist and put a new spring hinge on it. I think its worth the money $100, since my scissor hinge failed once and landed on my hand, so we all enjoyed a blood soaked dinner. Shhhh!