Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

summer sausage??

Options
boehmer
boehmer Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any good tips on egg set up for smoking some summer sausage?? and i was thinking about maybe trying some kind of the dizzy pig in some wonder if it would work??

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've made it several times using the Hi Mountain kit, it is excellent. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Kind of been waiting for you to jump in on the sausage posts. If you get some time you should post some of your pictures.

When you grind different meats what kind of mixer do you use, or do you.

I am going to start out with a KA grinder and hopefully mix using the paddle and stuffing by hand - for now.

Kent
  • boehmer
    boehmer Posts: 23
    Options
    grandpas Grub.. one of my friends has a meat grinder so i am going to borrow it for the day and stuff by hand.

I just ordered a kit from high mountain.

we are grinding some deer meat with some pork in it.
    Thinking about smoking it with apple chips.

I will be sure to take a lot of pictures.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Apple wood sounds great. I am going to do a beef summer sausage. I have a lot of cherry so that is what I am going to do, heavy smoke.

I am also going do some with mesquite just to see if I like a heavier smoke flavor.

I also would like to do some bratwurst. What I want to do and what I get done are two different tings entirely.

GG
  • AZRP
    Options
    I have a LEM 17 lb mixer but I've only used it one time because I don't have a sink large enough to wash it in. I put my seasonings on the chunks of meat then grind it which pretty well takes care of mixing. You can also mix in a stand mixer bowl with the paddle attachment. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Randy,

I will try doing it like you suggested and must mix it when grinding.

Kent
  • AZRP
    Options
    Hey Kent, I was just watching a show on the Travel Channel and saw some sausage being mixed with a dough hook. -RP
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I wasn't sure if the hook would give it a good enough mix.

I have been reading about sausage, brats and the like, the seasonings seem pretty simple.

I am having second thoughts with stuffing casings with a spoon. Wondering if the KA stuffer is with the $20 or so to give this a try.

I have a bad habit of wanting better and better stuff to do projects with but I am not sure how invested I want to get into all this. There are some pretty good sausage and brauts at the stores which I can just get, cook and eat.

As I reall from past posts I have read, the KA attachments are not the best tool for this type of project.

Kent
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend the KA stuffer based on recommendations. Northern Industries has a great 5 lbs stuffer that doesn't break the bank.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200308623_200308623

Geez I feel so cheap, I mixed sausage with my hands. But I like the idea of adding the seasoning to the meat prior to grinding!!

Thanks!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Hey Randy,

What smoke do you but on your summer sausage. I'm using cherry on my 100% ham based summer sausage.

Thanks,