Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Rocks in lump

GaryBusheyGaryBushey Posts: 60
edited 6:24PM in EggHead Forum
I allowed my Egg to completely burn out last night and when I was cleaning it I noticed some rocks in my Egg. Is it normal to find rocks in lump? One was a fairly large size and makes me a bit upset since the bag is sold by weight. BTW, I was using BGE lump.

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    More than likely it was concrete chunks, we call them moon rocks. -RP
  • RRPRRP Posts: 19,986
    rocks happen! Lump making is not a sterile business and trees and stumps used grow around rocks naturally in the ground. When burnt the rocks are released. There is no fraud so get accustomed to finding some now and then. Here's part of my collection.
    IMG_0802.jpg
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    It happens.

You ever weigh that bag to make sure you're getting a full 20#?

My guess is if there is an error on weight it will be in your favor. It all evens out over time.
  • Good to know. Thanks for all the responses
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 20,484
    i used to get maple leaf with rocks in the bag, i used to just think the canadians were very anal about getting the bag weights down perfectly :laugh: now what i did with the rocks is throw them at the canadian geese :laugh: :laugh: nothing good about geese on the patio
  • I have found several small rocks in the past, one was pretty good size....tossed it and moved
  • i also think the price for twenty pounds of lump with the occasional rock is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than the price for picked-over totally perfect lump.
  • That is quite a collection. You should get all your lump rocks together and build a retaining wall redo your fireplace. :laugh:
  • RRPRRP Posts: 19,986
    I used to have more, but I got to throwing them at a feral cat that hung around our bird feeders.
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    That's funny!

Kinda wish I had kept all mine.

This was in one bag of RO.
    464dabf7.jpg