Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Size

Options
Blue Horn
Blue Horn Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a large egg for Christmas and am building a table for it. I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the size of the table. I have a space on my deck where a 44" table would fit, but am afraid that I would not have adequate work space. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comments

• Danman
    Danman Posts: 22
    Options
    I got one two weeks before christmas and built one from the BGE page.Took about 2 hrs and got appox 100 dollars into it.I'am 5'9" and found it to high for me with the casters,so I had to remove them.I dont find it has enought table space.After finding this forum after the fact and seeing what others have done, mine will be rebuilt soon as spring comes.Pls take your time and look at what others have done.There is plenty to learn from these guys.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    The bigger,the better.JMHO! ;) Some people even use a nest and make a seperate work table.That is what I would do if I had it to do over.Once you put the egg in a table it's a B to move.Some folks uae an open front table that looks pretty cool.It makes it easier if you need to move the egg.The Naked Whiz has a photo gallery of dozens of different table designs on his website.Do a lot of research before commiting to a certain design. ;)
  • Blue Horn
    Options
    Thanks for the reference to the Nakedwhiz website. Those pictures are very helpful!
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Check your email -

LJ
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    After seeing RRP's setup, I added a drop leaf and it works great!
    d-leaf-1.jpg

for most cooks, the +/- 4'-0" table is fine, but the dropleaf gives me a lot more room when I need it.
    d-leaf-2.jpg

In real life, the color matches better than the picture, but that's what happens when you start adding new stuff to stuff that's a year or two older.
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    After a month of deciding on a table design, I'm still deciding what I want to do. I want to make sure it's funcational, as well as practical. I'm going back and forth between a moveable table (one with casters), or a non-moveable table (built out of cinder blocks, etc.). Then I need to decide how much counter space I want for food prep, how I can get electricity to the table, a light source, storage space, etc. I have a preliminary plan, but I always want to add something else, so I haven't started it yet. It might be another month or two before I start on it. My table will hold my large and small BGE.

The main thing is to make sure you know what you want, and build to suit. As Hoss mentioned, use the pics on the Naked Whiz site and pick out the best features.

Also, there is a forum for tables on this site. Go on there to check out more pictures and ask more questions.
  • Blue Horn
    Options
    Thanks! That's a great idea. Where did you get the hinges for the side table?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I can't remember where I got the hinges- I just remember RRP is the example I followed and he told me where he got his. I would Ping him (RRP) he'll know!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Here you go - I got the 12" ones and they work fine.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001690/Folding-Shelf-Brackets.aspx
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Blue Horn
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thank you for all the help!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    you're welcome. BTW I just used a maple cutting board for my drop down shelf. Got it at BB & B.
    IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.