Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temp vs ET-73 attached to grill

Options
cat3137
cat3137 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used my dome therm ever since I purch the Large BGE. Never thought I had a problem until today. Wife bought me a BGE ET-73 hooked it up and wow what a huge diff in the temps ET-73 is reading 282 dome therm is 250 whichj one is correct? The ET-73 is attached to the grill itself next to the brisket. Any help / guidance would be appriciated

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    25 degree differential is normal.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Both.....grid temp is typically 50° lower than dome...they will get closer together the longer you cook..at least on a low temp cook...Not to worry..recipes here on the forum reference dome temp unless stated otherwise...
  • boehmer
    boehmer Posts: 23
    Options
    i have the bbq guru.. i attach the temp prob to the end of the factory egg prob so it will be the dome temp..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

It is fine to connect a second pit probe to the dome thermometer, however, keep the clip on off of the end of the dome tip (where the dome therm. reads the temperature about 1/4").

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

First things first... If you haven't calibrate your dome thermometer.

Now with that said, sometimes we forget some basic things. The further away from the burning lump the cooler the heat is going to be, just like any heat source.

As the egg stabilizes, the dome radiates heat for the cook also.

The dome temperature difference to the cook level will depend on where the food grid is located. For me if I am cooking at fire grid level or plate setter level my grid temperature difference is like WessB said.

When I cook on a raised grid (adjustable rig) my difference is about 20° to 30° difference. For long cooks the delta sometimes gets less.

When reading pit temperature at grid level one can 'fool' themselves by placing the probe too close to the food (cool meat cooling the probe). The probe can placed in a heat path giving a higher reading. There is nothing hard to all this other than you have to pay attention to what you are doing.

I mostly put my remote pit probe at food level. Unless stated otherwise any temperature given on the forum is dome temperature.

Just remember the delta between the dome and pit when reading the remote thermometer.

GG
  • WessB
    Options
    Nothing wrong with doing that..
  • Waterscapes
    Options
    I just purchased a new temp thanks for the info.
  • WessB
    Options
    I used a "Nu-temp" I believe 701...for MANY years before the probe finally died..I'm talking like 8 or 9 years...I was impreseed with the quality...Enjoy...