Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP!!!

Options
bamarob
bamarob Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some terrible news! I cracked the base of my egg. It's not in pieces but it is cracked. Is there anything I can do to salvage it or can I buy just the bottom piece from a dealer or corporate? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Check with the dealer and or BGE about warranty. The bottom of eggs are available.

Some folks use JB Weld to fix broken parts.

However, the lump is at that end of the egg. Should you have a load of burning lump and anything else happens you will be dealing with 1,100° burning lump.

Sorry to hear the news. GG
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    What happened? :ohmy: Yes,you can purchase a new one from BGE.I wouldn't trust a "patch job" on the base though.If it failed,you could have a real issue(fire) :ohmy: Have you checked with your local dealer,maybe they could help? :whistle: BTW:I'm just guessing that you cracked it,and it didn't crack on it's own(right?) :whistle: Is it a possible waranty issue,or did you drop it? :pinch:
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Kinda hard to say about repairing. It would probably be best to seek a replacement. They are available at your local dealer, and if they give you any grief then go to ATL.
  • bamarob
    Options
    I was pulling it in the nest instead of pushing it...real smart. I just got it for Christmas and this is/was my second cook. I went ahead and fired it up and it seems to be doing ok. Nonetheless, I will be getting a new base some way or another.

How hard is it to remove and replace the base? Will I need to adjust the spring hinge at all? Thanks for all the help. This forum is great for rookies like me who make stupid mistakes.
  • Lightnin' Bolt
    Options
    The same thing happened to me about 4 years ago. It unfortunately was the first day I bought it and was trying to get the assembled egg in my backyard. I got it all the way to the back porch, pushed instead of pulled and BAM!!! Not a happy day.

I was able to get a new base for it. I think it was about $325 if I remember right, but that was 4 years ago. Was able to get it at my local dealer... who by the way laughed at me when I told him the story. And yes... I still buy things from him even to this day!

It is a somewhat easy install, but make sure you use the plastic hinge thingy when taking the hinge off and on. It will save you a bunch of headache. Ask your dealer if you do not have it.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I dropped mine when I built my table...my dealer at the time sold me the part for cost plus shipping If I remember right...I had only owned it for a few weeks...welcome to the club.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • bamarob
    bamarob Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm glad I am not the only one to have such a brain fart. I was literally about to throw up when I saw what I had done. On the bright side, I went ahead and cooked 4 filets on it and they were GREAT! About to try a pork tenderloin. I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to try and get a new bottom piece.