Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Virgin Smoker

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a TOTAL novice when it comes to smoking anything! I'm looking for some advice on the use of chips etc. Do I just put them right on the fire? Do I need to soak them? Will I have to get them out before I use my egg again? HELP!!! but please be gentle after all I am a virgin

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Frank,
    Check out the discussion below. It has some good info.[p]Some general tips:
    Chips are good right in the fire when you want a quick burst of smoke for grilling, or mixed throughout your lump for a nice light consistent smoke. I like chunks better for low slows. I am with those that don't see any benefit in soaking. Give the smoke time to clean up before putting on your meat. Pork butts can stand a good bit of smoke, briskets a bit less, but they can also take some good smoke. Poultry, fish and lean pork really suck it up, so go light if you use any wood. [p]Everyone's preferences are different, but I'd recommend starting light and seeing what you like. Remember, the lump alone will provide a good bit of smoke flavor for many cooks.[p]I have a small brisket on now, and I used one large chunk of JDB's heartwood cherry right in the fire, and waited a half hour for it to get established. You want a thin blue smoke, and not a thick tan or gray smoke.[p]Just some of what I have found, and just my opinion. Good luck!
    Chris

[ul][li]About smoking woods, a few threads down[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Frank,
    No need to appoligize for asking questions...we all asked many of the same before.[p]My personal favorite is pecan. I've got both chips and chunks. Use it for most things but prefer cherry for poultry, especially turkey. I use chips when I'm doing something quick like pork tenderloin; chunks for low and slow cooks.[p]I'm of the don't need to soak theory on chips. But do let the intense smoke die down before adding the meat.[p]I've never seen or heard of anyone cleaning out the egg of one type wood before adding a different wood for a different cook. Most of the wood will burn quicker and be gone at the end of your cook. But if not, no need to worry about it.

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Frank,
    Welcome & get ready for a whole new experience both smoking and here on the forum. Just a great group of folks here always willing to help.
    I use several different woods for different things:
    Mesquite (chuncks)- lived in TX for 2 years and like it's flavor with pork & beef. Too much can make things a bit bitter.
    Hickory (chunks)- great all around wood for pork, beef, fish.
    Alder (chips)- like it mostly for fish - salmon
    Cherry (chips)- great with ribs other pork. Want to try it with chicken.
    Apple (chips)- great with pork and chicken.
    Maple (chips)- like to add to pork & poultry. Usually mix in with some hickory for added flavor.
    Pecan (chips)- great with poultry.
    Wine Barrel chips - Merlot is great with T Rex steaks[p]Mix & match. New flavor experiences are fun! Good Luck! Joe

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    Thanks Smoke! Tips to save!!
    TGIF tomorrow!
    beth

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    smoknegg.JPG
    <p />One of the finest smells in the world is the scent of oak wafting through the air and throughout your grill. The perfect all purpose smoking accent my opinion.
    Toss on a couple of dry chunks or perhaps a handful of finer shavings at the beginning of the session. Combined with the essence of the lump you should have all the seasoning you need for almost any affair.

[ul][li]RBQ[/ul]
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    ravnhaus,
    Man, you make me really miss Texas. I lived in Keller - about 2 1/2 to 3 hours North of you. I would pass through Austin on my way to San Antonio. What a great place! Joe[p]PS: I love you glass work![p]PSS: Don't mess with Texas! I'm coming back for the Breeders Cup in October (Grand Prairie) Ever do horse on your egg??? LOL