Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day

Options
Wisconsinegghead
Wisconsinegghead Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone used this cookbook before? IT IS AMAZING!

If you have, have you made the bread on the egg? Any suggestions?

Seriously people, go out and get this book! It is amazing. They now have Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a day as well. Haven't gotten that one yet.

Comments

• Plumbr44
    Plumbr44 Posts: 212
    Options
    I never liked the Vikings until Brett Favre played for them. Go Bears!! (one of these years)

I bake a lot of breads on my egg, just got a stoneware loaf pan. Before that, I just went free form.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I got it for my birthday, but haven't made anything from it yet... no space in the fridge for the dough. :(

-John
  • Wisconsinegghead
    Options
    you need to make the master recipe. Trust me, you will not need room in your fridge for the dough... You'll make it all and eat it all!

Do you need to add any sort of moisture to the egg to get the nice crust? Any suggestions?
  • Rooster K
    Options
    I made pizza buns with the master dough. My best advice for baking is make sure you have a clean fire burning. This wet dough will soak up a lot of smoke.

Here is a post I did earlier.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=785650
  • EggTurner
    Options
    I bought the book last spring and made many delicious loaves in the kitchen. Since obtaining an Egg I have not tried Ain5 in the Egg but will do so soon now that I am ready to make bread again. Keep us posted about your attempts.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    A pie pan or some kind of tray to hold water above the plate setter or pizza stone will help to brown bread. I use small brick feet or my egg feet to elevate the pan above the plate setter. When dumping water into a hot pan be careful of steam, wear gloves, protect your skin. Pre-heat your water so it's hot before you pour it in the hot pan.

It's not necessary to have a water pan and the bread can turn out just fine without it. It's your call.

My poolish is ready to make bread for tonights supper. The goal is to have still warm hearth bread with the ribeye roast. Dinner around 7:30. :woohoo:

Have fun with your new bread book!
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I do bake a lot of bread in the Egg, and I haven't really needed to add water to get a crunchy crust, as the Egg tends to keep moisture in. If you want to try, just put some water in a drip pan in the plate setter. At baking temps, the water will steam off and give you some extra moisture.

-John
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Wisconsinegghead wrote:
    Has anyone used this cookbook before? IT IS AMAZING!

If you have, have you made the bread on the egg? Any suggestions?

You mean like this? I love the ABin5 and HBin5 method!:

breadcook1.jpg

breaddone2.jpg

bread%20wreath.jpg

bread%20done.jpg

bread2.jpg

The top loaves are made with the European Peasant Bread recipe, I don't recall what the bottom braid was, possibly semolina. The top loaf is a roasted garlic and kalamata olive bread. The middle loaf/ring and the bottom braid were baked using the residual heat from a pizza cook, which I do often. Basically, after doing a pizza at around 500, slide your loaf onto the stone and shut the Egg down. Takes about 35 minutes. It won't get as brown as if you had an active fire, but it saves lump (reducing the old "charcoal footprint" :whistle: .

In the new HB book we have particularly liked the master, the quinoa, and the pumpkin pie brioche (made into cinnamon swirl bread and cinnamon rolls).

Also, Jeff and Zoe announced on their blog just recently that 2011 will bring a Flatbread and Pizza "5 minutes a day" book from them.

Happy Baking!
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Mmmmm...Nothing better than fresh baked bread. Will have to check this out. You should get a commission from the publisher on this.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Here's their video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFJZPm-_2-M

Spring "Five Minutes To Spare" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA