Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Egg

Options
La. Redneck
La. Redneck Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning Eggers,[p] Well, I hate to say this, BUT my egg is beginning to smoke around the egdes. If you look down on the open egg, the leaks start at about 10:00 to about 3:00 location. I checked the felt gasket and it looks still in tack.
I have been having a little problem with overlapping. The top is setting a little to the left of the bottom. This leaves an offset of about 3/8 of an inch. I then pull the top to the right and it squares up or rounds up. Is it time for a new gasket?
I have only had my Egg since November of 2003. I cook on it once a weekend. I have only seared steaks at high temps twice. I have only had one overnite Boston Butt cook. I love my egg and want to keep it in good shape. It only smokes when I go to low temps from medium temp by shutting down the vents. Any suggestions will be appreciated.[p] Louisiana Redneck

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    La. Redneck,
    This may or may not help you.....it did help when I had an alignment issue....with the dome closed, loosen the band bolts ( top and bottom ) get the dome lined up as best as it can, now tighten the 2 bolts alternately and evenly...1 turn top, 1 turn bottom, 1 turn top...and so on until it is completely tight...If done properly the gap between the part of the band that the bolts go through should be about the same on the top and bottom band....Let me know if this isn`t a clear enough description. [p]Wess

• La. Redneck
    Options
    WessB,
    I will sure give it a try. I have not worked with the bands yet. I did tighen the hinge bolts. They had worked a little loose. You just can not get too tight or the Egg will not open.OOPS : )

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    La. Redneck,
    Keep us posted, as this may also help others with a similar problem...[p]Wess

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    WessB,
    Mine was the same, but never leaked, I fried the gasket some time ago and havent replaced it. Mine works fine, but that damn hinge ring(top) is off about 1/4 in to the left. I heard its the cheapo hinge assembly, (welded front handle)

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Options
    La. Redneck,
    I had the same problem ... at about the same coordinates. I adjusted, tightened, swore, cussed, prayed, did all manner of strange things trying to get the thing to smoke where it should and not where it shouldn't. After all was said and done, I contacted BGE and they sent me a new (and much better) band. The new band has the handle bolted on and exhibits much better quality.[p]Doc