Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket temp/time for perfect cook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done a lot of research on the forum and web sites about cooking briskets. One thing I try to avoid is asking a question when it has already been answered 100 times (sometimes as recently as yessterday.)[p]I have done a pork butt and followed the "Ward" method with success which seems to be the gold standard among eggsperts. However, in all my research, there is not a consensus for what temp and time to allow for a brisket. Ward says 6-7 hours (for 11 lb.) until internal is 202* with a dome of 275*. Others say 225-250 while allowing 1.5-2 hrs. per lb. [p]Can some brisket eggsperts help an eggspert in training cook a good brisket for his father-in-law's birthday...this is true pressure to perform and I need all the tips I can get.

Comments

• biglabmaggie,[p]Here is a link that I adhere to as the Bible for my Brisket, and I've never had any complaints... only raves of it being the best darned brisket they've ever tasted.[p]http://www.purplesmoke.com/[p]Look under their section for brisket.[p]Regards,
    B.A.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bnb.jpg
    <p />biglabmaggie,[p]Well I am certainly not an eggspert at briskets but have done a few with good results IMO. I always do whole briskets with very little trimming. I do mine at the lower temps, 225 or slightly below, until about 195° internal. You can crank it up a little, 250° or so, after the plateau, but never before. This usually takes in the 1 1/2 hour per pound range. Another thing that I usually do is a couple of butts at the same time. Do these above the brisket and it kind of bastes it. Not sure if this makes a ton of difference but it works for me and give you some great pork to go along with the meal and or foodsaver for later.[p]Good luck and have a great day.[p]Chuck
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Chuck,[p]I agree. For meats that need to tender and render and carmelize, I'm much more comfortable cooking at low temps. Seems lately, I've been going lower and longer.[p]I love your photo of butts basting over the brisket......[p]john [p]

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Chuck,[p]Nice pic! BTW, do the butts and brisket finish together, or does one finish before the other?[p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    B.A.,[p]... can't get the link to work ... is it just me?[p]Chuck
  • Chuck
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I have been going back to the low(er) and slow(er) way that I started out doing. We, the forum, kind of got away from that it seems to me. While I guess it is easier to keep the fire going, I never really had that problem so wasn't sure why I was suddenly using a higher temps. Now with a Guru I think the lower temps are a no brainer. I think DrBbq posted awhile back about the actual benifits of lower temps as well.[p]Speaking of low temps I have two butts at 200° right now and will be adding an amazing looking bone in chuck roast a little later. ABT's tomorrow and I think the First Daughter will have her belly full before heading back to college.[p]Have a great weekend John.[p]Chuck
  • Chuck
    Options
    chuckls,[p]Thanks!! The briskets I do are usually between 12 and 15 pounds an do finish about the same time as the butts. The last one I did came off about an hour before the butts.[p]Chuck[p]

• chuckls,[p]I am not sure. Go to www.purplesmoke.com. Then click on the brisket link. Nothing but rave reviews when I follow their instructions.[p][p]Regards,[p]B.A.
  • Bluegillman
    Options
    Chuck,
    Another rack on top! Where do we get that? Thanks, Bluegillman

007 Posts: 10
    Options
    Bluegillman,
    I got mine at the local dealer.