Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ok Now I Am Addicted

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
this is sorta a long story. for the last few years i have been eyeing Green Chili from Thirdeye. although i had never had the equitment nor the balls to try something that is not a big thing around here. i mean i have never seen it in a store or resturant.

so back last spring one of the auctioneer's i ride with was talking about how his dad was comming into town and he was so happy cause his dad always makes green chili. i did a double take and promptly invited myself. he obliged i met his dad and ate the chili. i was hooked i tried to figure out how i could slip this past the wife. (she has an ulcer to go with other health problems) so green chili would deffinatly not be something i could make for her.. i thought a big maybe on our 13 year old son casuse he don't like spicy. and since i read that recepie about a hundred times i knew what was going in it..

so sometime around june i was asking about grinders cause thirdeye's procedure called for grinding your own boston butt. i wanted to follow this part ;) . so while i was asking about grinders one day car wash mike told me he would sell me his old one for the kitchen aid.. i said fine and sold the wife on the idea of making turkey sausage (i was asking AZRP about that when CWM chimed in) so i contacted cwm and said his price was fine send it to me i will send you a check... well i waited

and waited ....

and waited....

then i started bugging mike!!

then i bugged him some more... :evil:

well finally at eggtoberfest he brought it with him. and since he felt bad for me for having to wait so long he gave it to me free of charge :blink: he had to have felt sorry for me.. someone actually took a picture of when he gave it to me. but i don't have it (if you have it post it here so i can steal it ;) )

well fast forward till the day after christmas. i had gotten a couple gift cards from santa towards publix so i decided to finally make green chili.. i spoke to a couple friends and changed it a little so i did not burst into flames. and decided to omit the serrano peppers and just use 4 jalepenos.. my brother came over and roasted all of the peppers while i was grinding a boston butt. man what a fun cook and it was with my brother and we both had a emotional christmas so it was good to do something fun with him..

well back to my topic i made the batch like thirdeye said. put some on some grilled chicken that night. 13 year old said it was very good but still a little spicy. i told him i would tone it down next time but we have so much. so i put it all in a foodsaver bags and froze it in batches. well last night we had burritos i broke out a bag and dropped it in boiling water and poured it over my burrito (the son did also). this morning i was making bacon and eggs i warmed up some and poured it over my eggs. i will never eat eggs over easy any other way.. so the waffle house will only make me omelets from now on...

i now see why my auctioneer friend was happy to see his dad. tomorrow i will give him a bag to try out. he may tell his dad he knows a better recepie ;)

so thanks to thirdeye, Car Wash Mike (who i think we need to rename Pro Pick'em Mike), and to AZRP for your help..

thanks to several other eggers who over the years have inspired me to try diffrent things and to buy the stuff to do it right ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Haha, great story Terry! We eat green chili all the time! Wish I'd known, I would have sent you home with some.
  • Green Chili ala Bente. :):):) Can't be bad. Sorta warms me thru just reading the post. HNY 2010. Smiles to you.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Good Deal Terry. I love Green Chili.
  • I am 2 games behind with 1 week to play. :angry: How about Procrastinating Mike? Glad you finally got it.
    Chili looks good.
    I think PBM or Poolboy took the pic.

Mike
  • BENTE
    you could have saved me a whols helluva lot of trouble :laugh:

but it would not be half as much fun as we had.. he left before he tried it :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    thanks ronnie happy 2010 to you also..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    i would have stolen some of yours at eggfest but it was already in the dutch oven thawing before i could get over to you to steal some ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    yea michael but you have fallen by two games in the last 3 weeks.. you have ground to make up and since it is the silly season in football where coaches pull their players "saving" them for the playoffs you have a chance :woohoo:

i did not take pictures. i still have yet to figure this fracking computer out yet :angry: . oh well practice makes perfect..

the grinder worked wonderful thanks again Pal

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Great story Bente,

You stirred my curiosity, I grew up to far north and never heard of Green Chili until this forum. I grew up thinking Chili was something reserved for hot dogs on special occasions, like sauerkraut. I was curious as to what went into Green Chili and found this site,

Award Winning Green Chili Recipes
    "World Champion Chili Verde 1999-2008
    International Chili Society World Champions
    These are the top green chili recipes from the world cookoffs."

Sounds good, I may have to give it a try,

Gator

• BENTE
    those look really good also i skipped the whole potato thing in it i figured it was going to be more of a topping and all i can say is Wow what a topping....

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• All that and no pictures!!! You're killing me!
  • BENTE
    sorry Pal!!

next time i promise ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great story!! Thanks for shring!! I couldn't live without green chili! :) Well, I could but it would suck.. haha
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Sounds great Terry.I'll have to add that to my "list" ;) Here's the pic that you requested ;)

DSC_0002.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    What a great story, glad you liked the recipe.

Good move on leaving out the serranos since there were some heat sensitive issues in the house. You can go with only the Anaheim and poblanos, or you can add some par-boiled potatoes to individual bowls, it turns it into a stew-like dish but does knock out some heat.

Next time you do eggs, get a couple of cups of chili up to a simmer and crack two eggs into it. They poach right before your eyes, and are actually relly easy to cook this way. (Instead of the stovetop, you can also move them into a hot oven to finish).

DSC06221JPGajpgx.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Terry, glad to have helped open your culinary mind. What's next, tamales? -RP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Pricless PHOTO!!!Tounge actually inside his mouth!!!!But visible! B) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BENTE
    thanks pal i thought it was you but thought you would have sent it to me with the others ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    great thanks wayne! like i need more things to try with this stuff :blink: i almost put it on my corn flakes this morning :laugh:

thanks again my auctioneer pal his father put potatoes into it i may try that for my wife.. i mean why shouldn't she have the oppertunity to try something good ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    let me wade into the waters slow randy!!

i have never really liked tamales but i am sure that my idea of tamales is much diffrent from yours. i mean if you want to talk grits i can talk to you about that. but since i have spent my entire life on the right coast alot of southwestern food proabably doesn't taste right here :(

tell the filly hi from all of us ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    i think i can relate.. my auctioneer pal came here from denver and his parents were from the four corners area and i can see now why he was so excited for his dad to come for a visit :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb