Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef Cook Time?

Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long (approximately) will it take to cook 16lb of a chuck roast for pulled beef? Any suggestions on how to cook it? Really need help if anyone has any experience!
-Thanks in advance.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Here are excerpts from my post a few weeks ago:

I cooked 40#'s, 18 chuck roasts for our office lunch earlier this week. Look for the recipe for Clay Q's pulled beef.

Here are the steps

1...place bacon on top of roast and cook indirect at 250 for 5 hrs (approx) until internal temp is 160. I used cherry for smoking wood.

2...place chuck roast in Dutch oven with some oil on the bottom, then place bacon in pan and then the roast. Add enough liquid ie beer, beef broth, water or a combination to cover half of the roast. I also like to add sliced onions at this point. Cook indirect covered until meat reaches 215 internal.

3....pull beef and discard fat. Take broth and deglaze. Add back pulled beef, bacon & cooked onion some broth and your favorite BBQ sauce for another 2 hrs in the DO. Cook at 250 indirect. Eat & enjoy
  • Can't use bacon, the reason I am doing pulled beef instead of pork is because some guests don't eat pork.

One 16lb chuck roast = how much time?

Not the same as 4 4lbers? right?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    my best guess (never cooked one that big, only 8 to 10 [pounders) would be 15/18 hours at 250 dome. never seen anyone cook one that big here, the bbq forum might be a good place to do a search or ask as some there do cook them. i would wrap in foil 170/180 and continue cooking til about 205/210 tender.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 16 pounds!! That's pretty big. Is there an advantage to cooking one that big? Could you cut it in half and save a bunch of time? You're going to pull it anyway.
  • I actually wanted it that big so that I don't have to start it at 3am...I wanted to comfortably set and stabilize the temp well before bedtime...got to rest up for the tailgate