Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on the mini and fried gasket

ranchonodinero
ranchonodinero Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did pizzas on the mini tonight and followed the tip I got and used lump from the large. Pizzas came out great, but the gasket gave up at around 500. So should I replace it or go "gasketless"? Pizza came out great-leftover sirloin, peppers, onions, little sauce, little chipotle for some heat.
751888294_D7GSY-M.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Go gasketless!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    IMHO gaskets are useless if your dome and base are properly aligned. ;)
  •  
    Sorry guys, I don't agree, especially on the mini.

If for no other reason... Yes, the mini dome is light in weight, however, the dome is held open with a scissor bar. If the bar is not locked back and the dome slams shut there might be some chipping of the ceramics. I have had the dome close down on my arm because I didn't think to lock the bar.

and I am of the thinking BGE put the gaskets there for a reason. With what the went through this last year and the amount of free gaskets + shipping they sent out the gaskets sure weren't just for looks. I also see gaskets on all these new eggs too. :):):)

However, just like Mater in Cars, sometimes the hood just doesn't matter.

Just my 2¢

GG
  • I think the naturally rough finish of the top and bottom ceramics would create some airflow egress issues on lo'n'slos if you go gasketless, but I guess you could probably compensate for that by adjusting the DFMT. This is really a non-issue with the mini as 95% of owners don't do lo'n'slos on the mini (I'm in the 5% minority), soa gasket on the mini is probably not needed as you typically don't need to hold constant low temps.

that being said, I think grandpa's Grub has a good and valid reason why you would want the gasket on the mini.
  •  
    I haven't have any gasket issues with my small or mini. My Medium & Large will hold a low and slow 225° without gaskets. I would expect the small and mini would also.

If there is a gap between the base and dome, that is miss-alignment then there may be a problem. However, shutting down with air ingress would possibly be an issue.

GG