Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chinese bbq pork

Hotwingking
Hotwingking Posts: 279
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever make chinese bbq pork like in the restaurants with the hot mustard? :silly:

Comments

•  
    I think Richard FL and Thrideye both posted about it.

Probably can find the posts by doing a search.

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Not sure what type chinese pork with mustard, but here is how I do Char Sui.

Pork, Butt, Char Sui, Oriental, Richard Fl

10BUTTSADONE10.jpg

This batch was done 10/01/06 using a rack made by Thirdeye, Used guava wood and some apple for smoke, BGE large was set up indirect at 425F, cooked 10 minutes to sear and then reduced to 325-350. Total time 1 hour. If you want a sweeter pork, sprinkle turbindo sugar on meat before cooking.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Lbs. Pork Butt, Boneless
    SAUCE
    1 Cup Chinese Wine or White Sherry
    3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Turbindo
    1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
    1 Cup Ketchup
    1 Tbs. Salt
    2 Tbs Liquid Smoke, Oven Method
    2-3 Drops Red Food Coloring, Careful it is messy.

Procedure: Oven Method
    1 Cut butt into 2-3 inch long pieces about 1 inch cross-section.
    2 Marinate in sauce for 2-4 hours or overnight in refrigerator.
    3 Hang suspended by "S" hooks on the oven rack, with a drip pan and 1 inch of water below it.
    4 Pre-heat oven to 425°F for 5-7 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and cook for about 30-45 minutes. The meat should not be dried out. Baste with remaining sauce once or twice during the cook.
    5 If doing outside on a BBQ grill, the liquid smoke may be omitted and wood chips added to the fire. If you do not have a rack, get the meat as high off the coals as possible, and turn every 10 minutes or so. Watch out for grease flare-ups. Use a drip pan under this if possible to avoid the flare.
    BGE METHOD, 2006/10/01:
    1 Rack set-up in BGE.

1AGRIDSETUP.jpg

2 Did 4 pounds of butts on the BGE today.

3 Doubled the marinade recipe.

3BUTTBAGGED3.jpg

4 Marinaded for 18 hours in the refrigerator.

4BUTTUNBAGGED.jpg

7 Had a hanging rack and after the pork strips were hung.

5BUTTSHANGING.jpg

8 Before placing in the BGE with legs up plate setter at 425°F. Sprinkled with turbindo sugar all over for a crispy. sweet effect.

6BUTTSTOGRIL.jpg

9 Placed rack in BGE and brought the temperature back up to 425°F. When it was reached, shut down the damper on the botton and the top to reach 350°F. Did not baste anymore.

7BUTTSASTARTING.jpg

10 Left alone for a total cooking time of 60 minutes.

8BUTTSAHANGING.jpg

11 Tried to use a thermometer with an outside wire to read, however the meat was so thin that the meat was at 210°F in about 15 minutes and I knew this was Wacky!.

9BUTTADONE.jpg

12 Butts are ready.

10BUTTSOUT.jpg

15 Chow Time!

11BUTTREADY-1.jpg

Recipe Type
    Meat, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/10/01
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    I will have to try Richard's method above. I have tried several methods of making char siu, and the following is spectacular:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73435

Here's how it turned out (I used pork tenderloin):

4149018648_c36d241f4e_o.jpg

4148259909_373670bbb9_o.jpg

This was done at 400º until it hit 145º internal, and rested for a few minutes.

It is definitely a recipe worth trying if you want authentic tasting barbecue-pork char siu.

Mark
  • Hotwingking,
    I just sent you an email.

Warthog
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC02374a.jpg

I make Char Sui, and also a plum pork tenderloin appetizer kind of thing.

DSC07226a.jpg

DSC07254b2.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    this ones like candy but has food coloring, you can omit it but you wont get that red like in the takeout places. this was done with a country rib roast with the ribs removed, actually where true country ribs came from before they started using sliced butt. the ribs were really good with this marinade

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=165082&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it