Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza question...

Options
texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will do my first BGE pizza here in a little while. I am using a fresh, pre-made crust we like, but do I use the temp on the package or do I need to adjust it for the egg? TIA.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    What does the package say? I get mine up to about 600°-650°. Your package probably specifies a lower temperature because ovens typically don't go higher than 500°

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Tennisbum
    Options
    what does the package tell you? I generally kick the egg up to 500-550 and cook for about 10-12 minutes. I have been using a store bought crust. I keep the top open and peer down it to see how things are going.
    Either way you will probably be ok,

gp
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    texas, for the first time, I would go with the temp on the package, see how it works out, then maybe tweek it next time around to see if you can improve it; but start out with a baseline to see how it works, Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • stahlee
    Options
    I cook my pizzas at 550F for exactly 10 minutes. Perfect every time.

chris
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    texas:
    I think Zippylip makes a very good point, with setting a baseline for yourself to work from.
    I tend to bake my pies slower then most here on the forum, at only about 450 F.
    I use a dough recipe that is my mothers, pulling it pretty thin and I usually have a pie done in about 15 minutes.
    This "time" will, however, vary with regard to the amount / thickness of the toppings (sometimes we get a bit carried away), but still doesn’t seem to affect the crust very much.
    Welcome aboard...Have fun!!