Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Best Chili That I Have Ever Made

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all, I would like to thank the following unknown chefs who helped cook my chili.
KennyG – The basis of the recipe was his Texas Style Chili Recipe.
DTM – His Chile peppers added a dimension and depth that I have longed for.
NatureBoy – Some Black Cherry Smoking wood from his back yard.
The other Brett – For pointing me to a site about a legendary Texas Chili Cook-off. The spice layering technique was incredible.[p]Today, we had a friendly Chili Cook-off at work. I work in a larger office, so there were 30 entries of all different types. My entry was the only one that was smoked and the scent permeated well. [p]I had everything set. I used a chuck roast that I ground myself to a coarse grind. I roasted the beef bones for an hour and added them to the pot. I used a pound of Portuguese Chorizo Sausage. I browned all the meat in bacon grease. I added can after can after can of diced and chopped tomatoes. I layered the spices and floated chiles. I smoked the chili for three hours over a mix of hardwood and mesquite charcoal and a chunk of red oak and black cherry.[p]All I can say is that I have never had or made a chili that was so perfectly balanced in Chile heat and had a depth of spices. I even impressed myself. Unfortunately, the judges did not agree with me. The bright spot for me was the simple fact that my chili sold out far before anyone else’s. At one point I figured that the lady that I was standing next, who had a pot of very good chili-mac, was going to slug me because I was half gone before she ever served a spoonful.[p]Thank you to everyone for the help,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Just your description alone would have convinced me to vote for you. I think what we have here is a case of "You're in a league well above the likes of the other competitors." My congratulations for a job well done.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo R & J,
    Glad your chili gig worked out. Where do you get that chorizo? Not much in the way of good sausage makers up here.
    Dan

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    DTM,
    LOL...months ago I posted about risking my life going in to a very rough, high crime area for that very sauage. After I left and traveled miles back to a grocery store in my comfort zone I double checked my body for gunshot and knife wounds, counted my 4 tires and made sure there was no graffetti painted on my vehicle. Then I went in that grocery and found packages in the meat bin by 3 different major meat packers! My advice is just look where you shop - it's probably there but you never looked for it before!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    DTM,[p]Great sausage is easy to come by here in Ohio. Great Mexican dried peppers are not and I am almost out. May we arrange a swap?[p]K~G

• RhumAndJerk,
    Man.. great description of the chili... Could you forward a link to the website with the spice layering technique....[p]Cheers, [p]Brian

• KennyG,[p]You might want to try mexgrocer.com for your Mexican supplies. You can find dried peppers under spices and herbs with what I think are good prices for smaller amounts. This old chili head uses this store for many treats.[p]Dave

• SingleMalt
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Where did you find the "Texas Chili Cook-off"
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Single Malt,
    Here you go.
    The recipe link is at the bottom of the page.
    Enjoy,
    RhumAnd Jerk

[ul][li]Terlingua International Chili Championship©[/ul]
  • DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo K~G,
    How's the landing gear healing? Hope all the parts are sticking back together. Give me an e and I'll look at my stash this weekend. I was in central Washington in Jan and found an incredible Mexican grocery and came back with a load of stuff.
    Your friend
    Dan
    dtm0919@yahoo.com