Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whole beef tenderloin

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the green egg and want to grill a tenderloin for Christmas. Any suggestions on proper way to cook on the egg?

Thx

Comments

• Tennisbum
    Options
    Matt,
    Going to do the same thing? Have you checked out the search feature, upper left hand corner of the page. Just put in beef tenderloin and there will be lots of notes on it. Also look at playing with fire and smoke web site. Good pic on how to there as well. Don't recall if Nakewhiz has that on his site either.
    good luck
    gp
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Do a search on 'tenderloin' and you'll find a lot of recent discussions on cooking them. I did one indirect a few days ago and there were several others cooked at about the same time.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Matt, I have never cooked one but I copied your request into the search menu and got a lot of posts from similar requests. So, until someone chimes in here for you I will leave you this past post. Good luck! ;)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=758643&catid=1#
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Matt,

Alot of forum members like TRex's method. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
    In the recipe he is talking about NY Strips, but you could do a whole tenderloin this way as well. Since you are relatively new to the egg, you might just want to try roasting it at about 350 degrees or so unless you're already pretty proficient at controlling temps. You could do it direct or if you have a platesetter or another heat diverting set up you could do it indirect. You may want to just try Mad Max's method of roasting prime rib for your tenderloin. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

Hope it helps. Maybe some more will chime in with there methods.
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    I cook them on a raised grid and turn it at 12-15 minutes. 325 dome temp, internal temp 140ish.
  • newegglander
    Options
    OK, excuse my ignorance, but what do people do to carve the tenderlion. I have watched Alton Brown in "Tender is the Loin" but his method resulted in a 1.5 lb roast. Not what I want. Also, why do many of the pics show the roast tied up?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Tiburon
    Options
    I just cut it using a chefs knife. As for the ones that are tied up, one possibility is some folks will cut the bones away from the meat and season the meat under the bone prior to cooking and will then tie them back on.
  • Tiburon
    Options
    I just cut it using a chefs knife. As for the ones that are tied up, one possibility is some folks will cut the bones away from the meat and season the meat under the bone prior to cooking and will then tie them back on.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I prefer to remove the silver skin and cut the loin in 1.5 inch fillets. I marinate them prior to cooking as beef loin has very little flavor. After allowing to come to room temp for a couple of hours, I sear them at high heat until the desired doneness is attained. A nice sear on each fillet is better then a roast style cut in my opinion. Just don't over sook them. Filets are one of the few cuts that is more ntender the rarer the meat (in my opinion). Don't woory, whatever you do you will achieve the wow factor.
  • Shiff
    Options
    There are no bones on a tenderloin.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Options
    I just use a sharp knife.

I cut the point end off and cut it into cubes for a future shish ka-bob dinner.

I cut a little less than half from the large end as a roast and then cut the rest into filets.

My wife was making soup for dinner, so I used some of the trimmings to flavor the soup. Some of the trimmings had silver skin and fat, so we put those in a strainer and rested it in the soup pot to add more flavor to the soup and make it easier to remove them when cooked.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • CRF450808
    Options
    I have used the T rex method mentioned above for tenderloin and its great..but..

i have been playing with the "Reverse Sear", basically cooking it indirect low and slow then pulling it off at around 100 degrees internal temp and resting it while getting the egg lava hot and then throwing it back on direct and searing it..For me, I like the reverse sear better!
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 2
    Options
    Thx for the help.