Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt and Cooler Question ??

Options
520dvx
520dvx Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 butts on the Egg and am starting to worry about them being done in time ..... What is everyone's opinion on the minimum resting time in the cooler??

They have been on for 12 1/2 hours and are at 178 internal. They need to be ready to serve in about 6 1/2 hours.

Thanks

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Kick the temp up to 275° and you will be fine.
    Larry
  • As YB said, you can go to 275º and I'll add you can even go to 300º without a problem at this point.

You should rest your butts for at least an hour if you can . . . if you just can't do it then pull'um and eat!

Now breathe. :P
  • 520dvx
    Options
    YB wrote:
    Kick the temp up to 275° and you will be fine.
    Larry

I'm already there ..........
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    You don't need to rest in the cooler at all. The cooler, towel, jugs of hot water, etc. are only NEEDED if your butt gets done early and you need a way to keep it warm. It is NOT necessary. Some here do it as a matter of practice which is fine, but it's not necessary. As soon as it's done(195ish)and it's cooled off enough that you don't get burnt pulling it, pull and sauce and serve. In my judgement, you are in just about perfect shape timewise.

Mark
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    30 minutes are all you need, but it will be really hot. As WW said you could get burnt.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I would crank the temp up on the cooker and get them to 195 soon. The sooner the better, as I feel the rest is more important. I have four butts ready to come off in a few minutes and will have at least a two-three hour rest before pulling.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Frankly, I never rest butts. I just take them out when they are done and pull them. I use a pair of forks and a cleaver to manipulate the meat and yeah, it's hot, but I don't use my hands. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Serving in 6.5 hours and 178° internal, with my egg I would be right on track and wouldn't crank up the heat at all.

Now 2.5 hours to go than maybe I would start thinking of increasing the heat.

You can crank the heat up to 400° without problems. Tent the butts with aluminum foil to prevent the overcooking of the bark.

This is a 400° 8# butt cook from start to finish. 6.5 hours total cook time. 15 min rest.
    egghfham3.jpg

egghfham2.jpg

If you increase the heat to quicken the cook I would think about pulling the cook a little before the 195° done temperature or whatever your normal done temperature is. Higher heat cook will increase the residual cooking of the meat.

Don't panic over all this, just think it through.

GG
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    I with GG on this one, I would not touch the egg. It sounds like you might have 2 or 3 hours of rest time before your ready to serve the pork*ss. Hopefully, your not opening the lid often because if "your looking it ain't cooking", as we say in the south.
  • 520dvx
    Options
    Well ..... the plot has thickened !! Looks like I have lost my fire ..... not sure why. Had Cowboy lump filled clear up to the fire ring when I started. Looks like I'm going for an oven finish. Thanks for the help.
  • Eggspert
    Eggspert Posts: 142
    Options
    I feel ya man, this weekend I cook to butts at once, with Cowgirl lump and the following day took 4 bags back to the store. I have heard a lot of eggers that are happy with the Cowgirl but, my educated opinion differs completely. Good luck! By the way, why did you just lift and place more in?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Just my $.02 cents worth put them butts in a cooler foiled and towels add some lump and stabilize and finishing egging. I think your past the plateau all you have to do is heat to 195° and put it in a cooler or shred. :)
  • 520dvx
    Options
    Good news !!!!! I opened the vents almost wide open and finally managed 275 to 300 ..... internal temp started coming up and I'm now about 20 - 30 minutes from pulling them.Got plenty of time .... 2 1/2 to 3 hours .... to rest in the cooler. Got excited for nothing. Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement!!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Good to hear! :) Just think when you start shredding all that pork and eat a few pieces all that worry will go away and a big smile will come across your face! :woohoo: :P
  • trythebge
    Options
    hey,
    I want to re-smoke a 20 lb ha. Any suggestions on time and temperature. I am a novice to the BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I haven't done that. I suggest you post that question in a new thread where more people will see it. Hope you get help this late. Tim