Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made Pizza and.......

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made Pizza and could not get my XL above 500. I use a Lump reducer but have been able to get it over 600 many times.

Also, I used whole milk mozzarella. Is there a difference from whole milk mozzarella than the other mozzarella ?

Comments

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    I never used whole milk but I know most pizza places don't like to use it because of all the grease.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    It was a bit runny. It did not set properly.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I prefer whole milk mozz, but not fresh mozz which is usually sold in little balls in a tub or water or sold in a shrink wrap type package.

The fresh mozz can leave puddles on the pie. The part-skim mozz usually doesn't have enough of a "stringiness" factor for my liking.

Don't use pre-shredded cheese in the pack at the grocery because it is usually powdered with corn starch or another anti-clumping ingredient that keeps it from melting and browning as well.

I have taken to using sliced mozz from the deli counter for a base layer and a light layer shredded mozz for the top. I buy a couple pounds of mozz at the deli, have one pound or so sliced and the other pound left in a block that I shred as I need it. This amount of cheese will usually be enough to do 3-4 pies.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    I got the cheese from the Italian Deli. I also used provolone as well. Do you find the whole milk moozzarella cheese creamier ? I also think had the EGG been a bit hotter the cheese would have been stringier.

Thanks.

Gary
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Good idea with the sliced mozz Rod.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    GTI...I always use whole milk Mozzarella....and agreeing completely with Fidel, I never use "fresh" mozzarella (that comes in little balls packed in brine, or in a moisture packed cryovac). That is meant to be eaten fresh....and turns to liquid on a pizza.
    Also, when we are shooting for a high temp long burn like pizza, we always scoop out our used but usable lump, vacuum out under the grid, load her back up and go! Every time we thought the lump load looked good and tried to re-fire for a high temp burn, we always regretted it. We take the extra 10 minutes to clean the egg, especially before a pizza cook.
    Our best to you!
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    good call rod. I will have to try that next time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I think whole milk is the only way to go for pizza. If you have a Restaurant Depot available, they sell it in 5 lb blocks. I cut these down to half lb blocks and freeze them, it grates much better when it is super cold. -RP
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    AZRP wrote:
    I think whole milk is the only way to go for pizza. If you have a Restaurant Depot available, they sell it in 5 lb blocks. I cut these down to half lb blocks and freeze them, it grates much better when it is super cold. -RP

Hmmm, I just Google RD and this is what I found:
    All you need to become a member is your Certificate of Authority (business license), or proof that you represent a non-profit organization.
    It looks like they don't sell to the general public.