Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekburner - OMG!

Options
Boatman
Boatman Posts: 854
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After lighting my egg for 2 years by the paper towel method and having fairly good results, I had the opportunity to go into a Harbor Freight store. There on the shelf was the famous weed burner....and after thinking about it for a nano second, out I walked the proud owner of a new Egg toy. Used it for the first time last night and holy cow! Does this thing rock! Egg was lit in about 20 seconds B) Stay away from the blast lever :woohoo: :woohoo: Love it B)

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL and if you have mini be very careful of the gasket :whistle: we love ours and no DO NOT TOUCH THE TURBO!
  • GatorEgg
    Options
    I have been using the BGE wax squares, but have been thinking of using my hand held MAP gas burner to start the lump. Any “do’s and don’ts”? Also I saw on a thread the other day a pix of a beer can in the fire pit cut up to smoke cheese. Could I get the 411 on that too? Thanks and Merry Christmas. No snow in Florida yet! :whistle:
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Yes the WEEDBURNER does ROCK :woohoo: and as Julie said it will melt the mini gasket did that to my mini.
    When I'm in a hurry I do use the TURBO :woohoo:
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    When I lit it off the wife ran in the house :laugh:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL probably to call 911!!!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    With any type of gas starting, just be aware of the lump sparking. It'll pop and spit little chunks out. I've ruined a few good shirts using my MAPP torch.

The can you see people using is for smoking cheese, or other cold smoking. Some are using a clean soldering iron placed in the can with some wood chips. Others are laying smoking wood directly on a few pieces of lit lump. May want to use some left over lump from a previous cook. New lump will have a lot of VOCs in it and the smoke is fairly rank, by the time the VOCs have burnt off the egg has heated up too much. Cheese melts a relatively low temp, so do not use more lump than necessary. You are not trying to cook the cheese so much as generate smoke.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    My wife likens me to one of those WWII flame thrower guys. When I first got mine, I went about torching the weeds in the garden. Killed 3 rose bushes, some bougainvillea, and a couple of other things along with the weeds.

They didn't come back. The weeds did. :sick:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    My wife asked about the little lever. My reply was that its there if you have problems with the neighbor kids. :laugh:
    I did use it yesterday for some ice removal. Worked fast and I won't be tracking salt in the house.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    I love mine. The trick is to use it with a fully extended arm. Those things can make even the best lump sparkle like crazy.