Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Lid Open" Grilling

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I discovered something interesting last night as I was cooking (direct) lots of smallish pieces of marinated chicken breast.[p]The pieces cook fairly quickly and require lots of attention: turning, checking etc., so the lid is open most of the time. Trouble with that is that the fire flares up and tends to scorch the food.[p]I discovered that I could greatly lessen the flare-ups and keep the embers under control by fully closing the lower vent. This worked best when the fire is well-established and just about the entire load of lump is alight. With no air coming in from the bottom, and rising heat reducing the air getting to the lump from above, I ended up being able to keep the lid open yet maintain a gentle fire on which it was easy to grill the chicken pieces without getting them scorched. Of course it also helps to not put in too much lump, a medium load is all that is needed.
--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments