Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick temps jumping around=bad probe?

Options
florida Nick
florida Nick Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was doing a low n slow and had my maverick probe inserted in the dome hole normally for the standard BEG thermo. Seemed to be working fine but about 9 or 10 hours into the cook the temp indicated on the maverick started jumping aroung like crazy. Going from 250 to 217 to 235 to 245 to 185 etc......changes would occur in bursts, like the above temps would be about a 10 second sample or so then it would read normal for awhile then jump around again.
Have had the Maverick for 6 months or so and the only thing I can think of is that last week the temp got away from me for a few minutes when heating up the egg. Had maverick probe on the grate and it never went above 390 but the dome thermo was closer to 450-500.
Do I need a new probe?
Any other thoughts?
thanks
nick

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Sure sounds like it. I try not to expose my probes/wires to any direct lump heat above 250* or so. I don't think most high, indirect heat will hurt them (unless it's nuclear).

Contact Maverick - some people have gotten free replacements.
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    There is an address in the paperwork that comes with them that says to return to and the address and that they will replace for free any defective probe.

I have only used the maverick for 1 low n slow and it seemed kinda erratic in the middle of the cook, then everything seemed to turn out ok.
  • florida Nick
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Misippi and Broker.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I had that problem once and it was due the receiver being too far or obscured from the transmitter. I shut both off and started from scratch and the problem went away.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I had problems with my DigiQ II, that sound similar, but my probe turned out to be not properly secured in the computer. Once I plugged it in all the way, everything calmed down, so that leads me to think it probably is a probe problem. Hope the new one ends the issue.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    I've used a Maverick for 4 years with no problem. But most of that was with a Weber Smokey Mountain where the temps rarely get over 350. I think I cooked the probe the first time I used it on the egg. The food probe still works, but the grill probe is erratic, shows minus signs, etc..

Replacement probes are cheap enough and I might be able to add insulation to the wire (or just use aluminum foil like lots of folks do).

IMHO, the Maverick design isn't suitable for the wide range of grill temps possible with the egg. The Maverick uses an inexpensive thermistors probe instead of a thermocouple. Something like http://www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/logmaster_rftc4000a.html but with two channels would be ideal.