Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg and I have made up

Options
Joel Ferman
Joel Ferman Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Guys/Gals,
Just wanted to say hello again to all my buds here on the Egg forum. I've been MIA for awhile and wanted to fill you guys in, before I do, just wanted to throw out a friendly hello.[p]Well my egg and I have been in a fight for about 6-7 months. It burned thru it's third felt gasket. I was so tired of dealing with that #**&% felt POS gasket that in a fit of disgust I went on an egg boycott. Well..... low and behold Mr. Egg won. I was at home depot and saw a MAPP gas tourch. Did the whole "oooo- aahhh" thing then was "forced" to buy it. Well, fired up the ole dusty, dirty, neglected egg, spatchcooked a chicken, took one bite and BAM I am back baby! I'm going back home to the Bay Area this weekend where I am going to pick up a Rutland gasket, then get ready for the annoying onslaught of pics!
-Joel Ferman

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    glad to have you back young man!!!. .. .we have all missed your food (yea, right) pics these last months. .. heck, i had to resort to buying the SI swimsuit issue thanks to your lack of consideration. . . [p]anyway, glad the egg won, and you are back to your winning, cookin ways. .. we have all missed you. . .

• Joel Ferman,[p]Yeah, that gasket thing is annoying. I wish BGE would find a permanent fix for it.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]Welcome back! Speaking of spatchcock chicken and annoying pics...[p]spatchcock-chick.jpg[p]Hee hee,
    Tonia
    :~)

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 56
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]Hey, welcome back! Look down the list a bit for a post by Woodoggies about the Rutland gasket. He is a ceramics expert in real life, and there are some health issues that make the Rutland gasket a problem for the Egg (possibility of fiberglass strands in your food). Even Rutland is saying don't use it I think. If the post is gone you may want to email him about it. [p]I am getting an Egg at the Eggfest this May, and I just plan on buying two extra felt gaskets right off the bat to have in stock. Small price to pay. Glad to have you back and active on the board. [p]Brett
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had my large for almost five years now and I haven't had to replace the gasket.

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Brett,
    I don't quite buy into the "fiberglass in the food" argument. If you install the Rutland on the dome, sure. But you install it on the bottom. Do you drag your food across the gasket for some reason? If any fiberglass particles should happen to break off they would fall into the lump, not leap onto the food.[p]My 2¢ worth...[p]Kelly

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    Welcome back! Glad to see that the Egg won. I look forward to your posts! How's school?
    Hammer

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]Hey Joel, howz the candy business going? I was looking forward to updates on that before you went missing.[p]Glad to see you back.[p]Boccie

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    Hey, Big Guy!.....We have really missed your contributions to the Forum. You are truly a legend in your own time! And, with a touch of real class, I might add. Welcome back....and keep those straight razors well stropped! (inside information) [p]Take care.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    I've just been to busy to post. But, welcome back and that should baby backs, not baby I'm back.[p]CWM

• Banker John
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    It is truly great to hear from and see a post from a friend. How did the fudge making stint work out. I have been hoping for a taste![p]I do miss the pics. For those that read this and have dial up, too bad! - I'm glad Joel is back with his seemingly endless string of pic posts.[p]Banker John

• Love Handles
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    I've missed those great pictures you used to post. Keep them coming, especially the ones with the girls in them. See-Yaa, and its good to have you back.