Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib injection

Options
thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do any of you recommend injecting a prime rib? If so, with what?

I will be cooking for 14 adults. Would 1/2 lb per person be sufficient?

Also, other than salt and pepper should I add anything else to the au jus?

Any other tips highly appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    I personally would not inject as the Prime Rib has terrific beef flavor on its own and wouldn't want to cover that up in any way. A nice rub on the outside and smokey flavor would be the only enhancements I would allow.

If you want "drop dead" excellent prime beef buy excellent prime beef. Look and see if you can get your hands on Prime grade instead of Choice grade beef. You will pay double for the difference. Choice grade can also be very good.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I agree with civil eggineer that prime rib has enough flavor on it's own and should need no injection.
    If you have not read it Mad Max has a great recipe, Mad Max's Prime Rib at the Naked Whiz.
    Season Au Jus only after tasting it, I know this sounds pretty obvious but you would be surprised.
    I don't know about the serving size, I would go at least a rib per person and pray for left overs. I'm a sucker for a Yorkshire Pudding and think it goes with prime rib as well as roast beef.

Good Luck,

Gator
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Civil Eggineer has some good advice about the cut.

I wouldn't inject either. Prime Rib is a great cook and a wonderful eat by itself.

I am partial to Thirdeye's method.

Playing with Fire and Smoke Prime Rib

primerib.jpg

primeribcut.jpg

If you want the 'done' ring on the outside of the prime rib follow the end sear step. The roast looked so nice I just wanted to rest, cut and eat.

GG
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    That is one beautiful looking roast GG, great job.

Stay warm,
    Bordello