Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-OT. Venison Neck Roast

Options
CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Venison Neck Roast

Well I'm going Pansy on this cook and it's happening inside. Really wanted to egg this, but I'm fighting off a sinus infection that's had me in bed for the past two days and it's blowing 45 knots outside and sub-freezing before the windchill. 

Neck Roast gift from a friend, seasoned S&P, followed by Raising the Steaks. 

e7d51e1c.jpg

Seared on all sides in DO. 

8380ee43.jpg

In goes the braising liquid.  Beef broth, Cabernet Sauvignon, Lipton's onion and mushroom mix and 4 cloves of Garlic. 

d9ac9678.jpg

Lid's on. Heat at medium-low and braising.  Gonna flip meat at half hour, go another 30 minutes stovetop, then into 350° oven for an hour.  Then, add carrots, red skin potatoes and sweet onions.  Wish me luck!

2142333c.jpg

I'll try to get some plated pics when she's done. 

Sorry about the semi-OT eggless cook. 

Joe

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Hey Joe, When you roast that, put all those veggies on the bottom of the pan then your meat on top then into the oven. It'll be great!! Wish I was there for that.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, Molly. I followed your advice and it's in the oven now. I figure another hour and a half or so to for tender. Is it bad to leave the twine on the roast during the braise? I made the 50/50 judgement call to leave it on. Hope I guessed right. It just looked right all bundled up.

Joe
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Twine is fine. Have you cooked this before and I was curious because I'm not familiar with this cut of meat. Here is this.

VENISON NECK ROAST

Place your venison neck roast in a deep pan. Cut off all excess fat. Salt and pepper your roast and lay two strips of bacon over the meat. Cook this roast slowly, 275 to 300 degrees for 6 to 10 hours depending on temperature used. This roast will be very tender with the meat falling off of the bone. You will have a lot of good gravy makings with this roast. You can cover the meat while cooking and when you want to brown it take off the lid.

Might have to go longer. You'll figure it out, I'm sure. Please let us know!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Thanks again, Molly! Took my cooking tips from Thirdeye, as he recommended the cut as one of the finest pieces of meat from the deer. I checked on it 15 minutes ago and the meat was shredding off with a slight pull on the tongs. My taste buds are somewhat buried right now with the cold and the antibiotics, but my wife said that she thought it was "ready". I'm holding out for pulling tender, since it was a gift (repaid in pulled pork offerings, but he had his neighbor process the cut especially for me). It pays to have good friends!

Wayne said to start it high (500° or so, raised direct), so I went with a four sided sear in the CI, and then go to the braise for 3 or 4 hours. Not a direct quote, but I believe it to be close enough. Sort of fell into my standard pot roast routine and it seems to be coming along nicely.

Joe
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Very good!! Wayne won't steer you wrong, bowing down :laugh: :)
    Pics sicky! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"