Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half-Burnt Baguettes!

Options
RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We made baguettes again today, but this time almost one half of each loaf was burnt. Last time we made them we had to leave them in for an hour; they still weren't really browned but they were done according to the Thermapen so we took them out. This time I started to smell burning bread after only about thirty minutes, and when DH checked on them they were well and truly burnt. We had the plate setter, legs up, the grate, a couple of fire bricks and a pizza stone, on which we placed the baguette pan. Part of the baguette pan was sitting over an area that wasn't shielded by the plate setter or the pizza stone so it was getting direct access to the coals, and I assume that was the problem. Next time we're going to have to make sure that the baguette pan is resting over covered areas. That was weird, though. Maybe I need to get a larger pizza stone.

We cut about a third off each loaf and were able to salvage the rest.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You are right about them hanging over. Even some foil on the grill will help that. Are you rotating during the cook? That might help.
    Better luck next tiem. Even when a cook is challanging it is a learning experience.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    It was just weird because that's the first time it's ever happened and we've baked bread several times before on the egg. I'll have to pay closer attention next time. We don't rotate during the cook because we want to keep it hot in there, plus it's never seemed necessary in the past.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Every cook is different, I think. Some can be similar. Like today. I emptied and cleaned. I lit it and she started going fine. I went out a half hour later with the food and it had dropped to 100. Had to wiiggle rod around to get her going again. Strange for me.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE