Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maryland Eggfest

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am strongly considerring going to the Eggfest in May to see how the egg is used plus buy a demo egg. But when I e-mailed a list of questions on the Eggfest site I received no response. I hope some of you that have gone to past Maryland fests can help. Here ya go;[p]1. I am paying $50 per person. Other than getting a T-shirt what else do ya get? They say you can eat food but what food will be there? I thought that it would be dangerous for the sponsers to allow us to eat food made by the cookers of the fest just in case someone might get sick. If the food is from the cookers do they just put it out for people to eat or do ya have to know them. Just not sure how this food eating logistcally works for $100 I must pay(my wife will go too).[p]2. If I buy a demo (gotta pay in advance) about what time will I be able to pack it up? I got a 3 hr drive back home. Plus will they give me a egg or can I pick what I want, no cracks or major damage[p]3. Is this a BBQ competition like you see all over the country or is it a group of eggers getting together eating and drinking?[p]Not sure if I missed any questions but any info will help.[p]Thanks
Howard

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Howard,
    The $50 gets you a bag of goodies including a shirt, beer and soda all day, a discount on eggcessories, and I`m not sure what all else. As far as the food, it is provided and cooked by the other eggers in attendance, Seasonal Dist. has nothing at all to do with the food that is served, however they do usually cook up some stuff themselves. You just walk around and sample the food that others put out, you dont need to know anybody...but you will before you leave....You mingle around learning from others, sharing recipes,tips,techniques and the like. You done need to worry about getting sick, other than eating entirely to much..LOL
    The demo eggs are typically cool enough to load up around 5 pm, the eggs are all brand new that morning, and last year you could pick any one you wanted.....
    It is not a competition but you will be eating competition quality food....and your last statement is about as accurate a description of the whole event as anyone could make..."A group of eggers gatting together eating and drinking" and drinking some more.....you will have a great time and most likely learn quite a bit also.[p]Wess

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Howard,[p]If you're have a particular food allergy, it would probably be best to ask folks whether "XXX" is in the item you are considering eating. Also, some folks print up the recipes to hand out and you'll be able to tell from the list of ingrediants whether there is anything you might have a reaction to. Think of it as if you were going over to a friends house for a meal.[p]As far as the demo eggs, when we went, they started cooling them down about 3:30 or 4:00 if I remember, which means that it was around 5:00 or 5:30 when folks started loading them up to take home. None of them are damaged or seconds. All of them are new eggs at the start of the day and only cooked on during the 'fest.[p]It's really a fun time. We bring some lawn chairs and just kick back the whole day nibbling as stuff comes off the cookers while listening to the band and visiting with folks. You can really get some great ideas of how versitle the egg really is after you see some of the stuff that folks serve up.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Howard,[p]Come with $50 and you'll eat and drink all day. I believe there will be kegs, if not, I'll give you beers all day. Also, there will likely be food coming off the cookers all day. Someone will bring breakfast food. If not, I'll bring a boatload of dunkin donuts and you can have some. Afterwards, there will be a big postgame party in the parking lot and I'll give you food and beer.[p]You should definitely go. It's $50 very well spent![p]Later,
    Cornfed