Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Weather Starting - Sub Zero

Options
XXXLRG
XXXLRG Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My question is can I safely use a chimney starter and then dump the red hot coals into the creamic fire ring while the ceramic is at zero or should I use fire starters and light the charcoal in the egg letting everything slowly warm up.

My 1st winter with the egg and I don't want to do any damage.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i light my egg with a 500,000 btu weed burner all year, so i would say yes you can B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    XXXLRG,

You can but be careful with the hot embers that fall out of the chimney starting a fire where you don't want it. You can use the chimney in the egg. You won't take much longer with the firestarters than you would in the summer. I use mapp all year round.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chef Charles
    Options
    It can get really cold in Ottawa and I use a torch to light the egg. It is quick and keeps me from staying outside too long. I cooked all last winter without any problem.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Kitarkus
    Kitarkus Posts: 181
    Options
    I was all ready to buy a Mapp or propane torch. I then read about all the sparking. It looks downright dangerous! Is this something that I want to do? I don't have much problem lighting a few starters...then closing the dome when their flame goes out...seems safe and easy. Please explain.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    I get some sparking from time to time, especially with fresh lump. The torch I use is a weedburner and is a couple of feet long keeping me at a safer distance. I have a BBQ mat under the egg. The sparks are of a lesser concern once the snow is on the ground.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Start with a layer of unburned lump spread across the bottom till it reaches the bottom of the fire ring. Place you chimney on the top of these to start it. When the coals are ready, dump them on the unburned and your ready to go for hours.
    Kent Madison MS