Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big chops on mini

Options
Woodbutcher
Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It was an ugly night, rainy and cold, so I fired up the mini in the kitchen. These are some of the biggest pork chops I ever made. DP red eye express is my rub of choice for chops. Red beans and rice and green beans complimented them nicely.

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

Good meal for a Wednesday night!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Great lookin' chops, Dale! And I LOVE the fireplace idea!! Before I got my Large, I used a flower pot for lo 'n slo cooks. Unlike an Egg, it doesn't much like wind, rain, snow or cold (nor do I for that matter!) so I set it in the living room fireplace as an experiment. Don't think I ever used it outside again! A bit of blow back on high pressure days, but what's wrong with the scent of pork butt and hickory smoke wafting through the house? :)

Hmm, wonder if a Small would fit in my fireplace....... :woohoo:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    I think it would be a good excuse to buy a small. :woohoo:
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    That is brilliant! I have a mini, now if I only had a fireplace. I guess I'll be standing outside to cook for at least one more winter! ;)
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Dale, that is the coolest use of the mini I have seen yet...in the fireplace ...great idea ... why didn't I think of that! Great chops also ..nice.
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thats a fine looking meal! I bet them chops were right on the money! :P Tim
  • Woodbutcher
    Options
    Hey Fred...I really can't take credit for the idea. Our good friend Zippy came up with it. It keeps me warm and dry in the winter!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Real good looking chops. Wish I had a fireplace.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Dale,

Norma made me put gas inserts in after the fire. Thinking I may be ripping one out now.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    Tell Norma it will be fine since it was Zippy's idea. We all know how safety oriented he is! :woohoo: Just make sure you get a CO monitor.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Alright, you've gotten me in trouble now. With myself! I was thinking that if I ever got another egg to keep my Large company, it would be a Small, just because the Mini is, well, Small. :) However, this fireplace idea sounds really, really nice, having done it before with the flower pot cooker. Especially in February when it's 5 or 10* outside and I really want a steak. Assuming WINTER ever does get here (it was almost 70* here today - in December!).

Just for grins, I measured my fireplace and, while I could get a small in there, I certainly couldn't open it! I could open a mini in my silverware drawer!!

About the CO detector though... the flower pot used just a hot plate with a steel cake pan full of wood chips for heat and smoke. Never occurred to me that I might need a CO detector. It's no different than a (smoldering) fire in the fireplace and I've never had one for that. Is CO is more of a concern with lump than it is with a regular wood fire? Or am I the only guy here who doesn't have a CO detector?

Oh, and for those of you not familiar with Alton Brown's flower pot cooker (poor man's BGE)...

smoker-198x300.jpg

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodbutcher
    Options
    I think most of us with a mini will agree that you can grill more on the mini than you would expect. I don't think you will be disappointed with it. Low and slow is not really practicle because of the limited amount of lump it can hold.
    I would recommend a CO monitor just to be on the safe side. :blink:
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    You're probably right. And for $30-40, it's good insurance. This "Mini-in-the-fireplace" idea is definitely growing on me! :woohoo: After my experience with the flower pot, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ricklesss
    Options
    Woodbutcher, (or anybody that knows...)
    So what is the longest cook one could do in a mini?
    A couple hours for a smallish/medium sized pork loin?
    I'd like a small to go with my large, that I LOVE, but I also think something that wouldn't give me a hernia, would be cool as heck when I go camping in my truck....
    Not sure a small is light enough, though maybe it is..
    (and DON'T tell me "you need a small AND a mini"!!
    RicklessssssssssssS
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Rickless, a couple of years ago I got infatuated with the mini and tried using it for all sorts of things. It is quite versatile. I have a couple of videos on my website, one of which I came up with a way to do an entire chicken "standing up" on a stand in the mini. By the way ... you get an hour or 2 at temp with the mini .. not good for any long cooking but really good for a quick blast. Check that chicken video, the chicken really gets great cooked that way .
    FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.