Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs, rubs, and foil experiment

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning Fellow Eggers,[p]Just thought that I would share a little something with ya. [p]A while back I had used a very sweet rub on some ribs (I think that it was Obie-Q’s Sweet Rub). The rub by itself would have been fine but I was playing around with a technique that my mentor had taught me. It is similar to 3-2-1- method but instead of just wrapping the ribs in foil, I was taught to add a little apple juice, honey, brown sugar and a couple of other ingredients. [p]This normalyl works fine with a rib rub rub that isn't sweet... So let me tell ya, them ribs was waaaaay to sweet once they were done. So sweet that I could actually feel my pancreas going into shock. Not a good thing at all.[p]So yesterday, I used that Obie-Q Sweet rub again and when I realized that the ribs would not be done in time for my lunch, I decided foil them. Instead of using all of that sweet stuff on them though, I went ahead and added some hot wing sauce (I can’t tell you the recipe but I can tell you that I opened the bottle all by myself).[p]Anyways, the ribs where not only tender but they tasted great. The overall heat from the sauce had dissipated a bit and it mixed nicely with the sweetness of the rub. Just something that I thought that I would share. This is something that I will do again.[p]The only thing that I didn’t like about them was the orange look that they had from the wing sauce. Kind of weird looking to say the least. I am sure that could be masked up though if looks were that important to ya.[p]Just thought that I would share
Matt.

Comments

• BillyV
    BillyV Posts: 16
    Options
    South O,
    Glad your ribs turned out. Just curious, what is the 321 method?

• BillyV,
    I can't take credit for the idea (actually, I have seen it posted on so many sites, that I wouldn't know who to credit for it) but the basic principle is 3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil (still in the smoker) and then 1 hour back in the smoke.[p]Matt.

• markthewood
    Options
    South O,[p]Try smoking them for 7-8 hours at 250 F. No need for the 3-2-1 method. The ribs will have a nice crust and be fall-off-the-bone tender. Much better looking too.[p]The better you get at ribs, the more overall knowledge you will have in a variety of situations. I think that using foil is taking the easy way out, and serious smokers would never put foil on a rib... you would never win a competition with that method.[p]Try going low and slow, there is much more satisfaction with doing it the"old school" way.[p]Good luck and happy egging!!
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    You are mistaken about the winning, my friend. A fair portion of the championship teams out there use foil.[p]Frosty Ones,
    Jim
    Big Green EGGomaniacs

• JSlot,
    just did some ribs using Tims 3-1-1.5. turned out great! but what does the foil time get you?

• markthewood,
    Although I agree that foiling is taking the easy way out I have to disagree about the not winning part.[p]My mentor owns a BBQ joint and has numerous awards decorating it. I followed him around for a full summer going from contest to contest with him trying to learn all that he would teach me, which included foiling ribs.[p]Personally, I like to do them both ways, depending on my schedule, but when I compete I will continue to foil as I was taught.[p]To each his own I guess
    Matt.[p]

• JSlot
    Options
    The ribs actually steam inside the foil and that tenderizes them. I'm not a fan of it because it destroys the nice crust I get on my ribs.[p]Jim
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JSlot,
    Your ribs are some of the best I have ever had.....
    Larry

• JSlot
    Options
    Thanks, Larry! All this rib talk is makin' me hungry. Think I'll make one of your onion pies to go with 'em in the next day or two.[p]Jim
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JSlot,
    Keep talking and I might make a trip to Charleston.
    Larry